for anything else that doesn't fit.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Training Lab Assisstant

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I am taking some leave at the end of this term and the beginning of next and need to train someone to do the job while I am away. I have not trained anyone to do this position before and was wondering if there are any tips and ideas about the essentials I need to let her know so I don't miss anything?
Also any obscure things that are needed but not obvious.

Thanks

Lorrae
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Training Lab Assisstant

Post by RosalieM »

Tell her about this website!!
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

when noona trained me she started by getting me to do the chem stock take, i got to know all about classes and chem and some safety while doing a useful job for her at the same time.

And then she threw me in the deep end getting pracs ready (cause she was off injured!)
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I have someone in for me every second friday and before that started, I took the time to do a basic daily job list. This is what I typed up for her.

Tasks for the day. (basic.)
This is a general idea on the day to day itinery, other things will probably crop up but don't panic.
MORNING- Every day.
Unlock storeroom.
Set up trolleys for the day if needed.
Put away used equipment.
Stack or empty dishwasher.

AFTERNOON. Every day.
Check job board to see what trolleys can be set up for the next day.

General tidy up
Put TV and and other technical equipment into storeroom
Lock storeroom
Turn gas button off in hallway.(push in)

Morning tea and lunch. Take when it suits you, there is no set time.
Have fun and thanks for working here.

I also attached a list of other tasks that could be done to fill in the time.
eg. making wires (gave her a lesson on how to do that)
how to clean fish tanks.
covering books, if they need it.
filing, tidying the storeroom.

As well as that I got her to come in for a few hours and she followed me around and I got her to set up trolleys etc with different equipment so she got to know where it was stored and more importantly what each thing was called.
I also loaned her the working in science book to take home and have a look through, which gives an idea of how things run in a science lab.
As far as chemicals go, the teachers are responsible for getting them out and putting them away while I am not her. Lucky for me, the chemistry teacher is very capable and helpful in that way. I didn't want to be responsible for someone untrained to touch chemicals, and usually make up a stock of chemical dilutions that I know are going to be used.
Hope this helps you somehow. Enjoy your time away from science.
Estelle.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our Principal, said to start our new ladies, to read the CSIS for one hour each day, until done. Then they had a look in the cupboards etc, then I think we started mixing solutions, only from solids. Then went on to lquids conc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
General
State/Location: TAS

Post by General »

I took long service leave last year. In preparation I completed(sort of) a lab manual I have been putting together specific to this school-which included info about this web site-and got to spend a week with him. Due to my increased duties, an extra lab, and having at least 3 non science classes using the labs for pracs and no increase in hours I handed him the manual and the stock and equipment guide and got him to get pracs ready, put finished pracs away and answered his questions at recess and lunch. Except for Wednesdays because I am not there as I only work 24 hours a week. They hired him for 36 hours a week so he was there by himself for the rest of the time. The school refused to pay for me to be there for the extra hours. They said they wouldn't object if I wanted to be there on a voluntary basis. I asked him, he felt confident so I didn't. Bit cheeky though.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

All of the above!! I've also put together, over time, a manual of hints, method useful for any labbie working here. It includes any procedures which are specific to our school, ideas I may have picked up in Chemtalk as well as passwords,names and numbers for other labbies in our area, locations of our gear (which is spread far and wide throughout the school), etc etc. It's been invaluable over time for anyone releiving me plus I refer to it from time to time when there is something I do only once a year or so!