Lab technician position

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Lab technician position

Post by Jazz »

http://www.wenona.nsw.edu.au/wenona/emp ... vacant.cfm
Laboratory Assistant
We are seeking to appoint an experienced part time Laboratory Technician to assist our
Laboratory Manager. The position is for up to 20 hours over five days. The hours worked are
negotiable and will be by mutual arrangement.
Overview of the Role
ï‚· To provide technical support to teaching staff in the school laboratories, classrooms and
preparation areas under the direction of the Laboratory Manager.
ï‚· To assist the manager of the Science Laboratories and their resources in an efficient and
ordered manner
ï‚· To work co-operatively with all members of staff and the full time laboratory manager.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
General Equipment
• Prepare and provide equipment/experiments for Science Staff for a designated number
of student groups for their lessons, gathering and returning equipment to the Science
storeroom
ï‚· Maintenance, preparation and cleaning of laboratory equipment.
• Organisation and maintenance of efficient and correct storage systems for chemicals,
equipment and materials.
• Maintenance of laboratories and lab equipment, stock take of equipment in laboratory
drawers and cupboards.
ï‚· Incidental cleaning and putting away of laboratory glassware and equipment, ensuring
that cleaned glassware is put away each morning before the start of lessons
ï‚· Carrying out minor repairs to equipment, basic care and cleaning of equipment including
Bunsen burners
ï‚· Maintaining the inventory and records of Science equipment and chemicals
ï‚· Unpacking, checking and storing new equipment
ï‚· Stock control including preparing lists of replacements as required.
ï‚· Ordering chemicals and equipment as approved by Head of Science
ï‚· Provide basic training to staff on use of new/unfamiliar equipment
ï‚· Set up laboratories with equipment for the smooth running of practical assessment tasks
ï‚· Preparation of complex laboratory experiments such as the assembly of distillation
apparatus
Chemicals
• Preparation of laboratory solutions and handling chemicals in compliance with
regulations
ï‚· Checking and replenishing stock solutions and chemicals
ï‚· Implementing CSIS package in terms of storage, labelling and inventory of chemicals,
disposal of unwanted chemicals etc
ï‚· Maintaining the supply of distilled water
Other
ï‚· Maintaining a safe working environment in laboratories and prep room areas
• Photocopying for science staff when requested
• Complying with School policies relating to OH&S and attending OH&S meetings
ï‚· Coordinating the distribution and filing of risk assessments
• To undertake other duties as may reasonably be determined by the Head of Science.
The above job description identifies major duties and responsibilities but does not intend to list
every task within the scope of the job.
Essential
ï‚· School experience
ï‚· Knowledge and skill in technology, computer use and internet
ï‚· Computer and peripheral operations
ï‚· First Aid
ï‚· Familiar with safe laboratory practices
ABILITY TO:
ï‚· Ability to speak, read/understand English sufficiently to successfully receive and provide
information to/from students, supervisors and co-workers and to carry out oral and
written instructions.
ï‚· Ability to work and communicate effectively with adolescents and adults to provide
instructional assistance
ï‚· Work productively in unsupervised situations
ï‚· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with those contacted in
the course of work.
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
The person appointed must at all times work within the requirement of the Occupational Health
and Safety at Work Act, current Health and Safety legislation and the School’s policies and
procedures.
This job description may be reviewed at the end of each academic year or earlier if necessary. In
addition, it may be amended at any time in consultation with the post holder. The post holder will
be expected to participate in appropriate staff training and development activities.
Applicants should send full curriculum vitae, copies of qualifications and names of three referees
to the Principal, Dr Briony Scott.
Wenona
176 Walker Street North Sydney 2060
Tel: 02 9955 3000 Fax: 02 9959 4460
recruit@wenona.nsw.edu.au
www.wenona.nsw.edu.au
Cheers Jazz
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: Lab technician position

Post by noona »

We do all that :thumbup: and more we need more money :giggle: :giggle:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
bindi

Post by bindi »

Ok, we really do need some better guidelines for job descriptions and titles :?

this one has left me thinking!
The forum says 'Lab Technician Position'

The add says its a Lab assistant position! Huge job description!

I would love to know what the lab managers job discription is?
and how would it differ.

:?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi
I guess you are right, I made mistake, #-o I was following forums main heading; “The Lab Tech Position”. Job is advertised for Laboratory assistant not Laboratory technician.
At this moment, as far as I know, there are no clear differences in job description between assistants and technicians. I think that is what one of the things ASET trying to do, Margaret correct me if I am wrong.
This is very good school, lots to do, always busy. I am doing the entire above, but it is getting little bit too much for one person. On the top of the listed I write risk assessments, chemical safety officer for school,write “how to” (for each piece of equipment we have), SOP, Chem watch (whole school), books order, assisting in designing and making equipment for Thinking science, :oops: etc.
Cheers Jazz
bindi

Post by bindi »

Jazz, Im totally familliar with your school and totally understand what your saying and no way trying to be offensive!

It just caught my eye as this discription is pretty much what we all do be it assistant, technician or manager! Just the money is difference!
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I think it is just a different name. Same job. Same pay rates etc. A bit like a potato scallop vs a potato cake, or a cherio vs cocktail frankfurt. Same thing, different name.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I agree
Cheers Jazz
bindi

Post by bindi »

So you think the manager and the assistant would be on the same rate/hr?
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Here at the state schools we are all SAO'S. It does not matter if you work in the office or print room or kitchen we all get the same pay :redcard:
Some of us have done a lot more (UNI or TAEF) than just rock up every day and get paid the same.
I wil get down off my box now and get back to work.
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Catholic schools are the same - we all get the same rate of pay , whether in pint room, kitchens or the IT person or the Labbie!
I think, from talking with the IT people who have come through here, that they come to schools as a training ground on their way to better things - and why would you stay in a school at such low pay if you are any good at IT? But then why do i stay in a school when I am so over-qualified and the pay is so low in comparison to industry? At my age it is because I am too old to get a job in industry, and as one person said when interviewing me for an industry position -
'Your skills are outdated and we would have to invest quite a lot of time , ie money, in re-training you'..
so I am here because I can't go anywhere else... I do like the job, sometimes...
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Good on your Noona, I fully agree. I have two perhaps three ladies coming to help. They have turned down training due to the fact, those days are front office days. CSIS thats just for you is'nt it? We need a big pay rise, but it will not happen in my life time. You stay on your soap box, and I'lll join you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bindi

Post by bindi »

Here here!
it just goes to show how unfair our postions are!
Sunray, I worked in a Catholic school a few years back, they have steps of paylevels, and you are able to move steps after you have been on the same level for several years. Support staff were payed on their experience.
There are forms or applications to move up a pay step but I cant remember where I got them. CEO website maybe.