A general discussion and Q & A forum.
mrsd
Job Title: Lab. Assistant -Relieving
School: Broken Hill High
Suburb: Broken Hill
State/Location: NSW

labec distillation

Post by mrsd »

relieving lab assistant, need distilled water, have a Labec D ?95 distillation thing, but don't know how to use it. Asked science teachers, not sure either, the lady i'm frelieving has done the job for over 25 years, please assist, thanks. [-o<
Linda
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: labec distillation

Post by lizzieb »

If you need the water immediately, go buy some from the supermarket. Sometimes called deionised water, and usually found in the laundry aisle. Very economical. Try a search on here for previous threads.

Try googling it - an entry for Labec Laboratory Equipment in Marrickville NSW came up. It gave a phone number, but no direct link.

Good Luck!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
dime

Post by dime »

I have a labec still. I also have the instructions which are a little confusing if you're new to this. I assume the still is set up, so all you have to do is switch it on at the power point and turn on the cold water tap, that it should be hooked up to. Place a bottle or container under the condenser (the part of the still that hangs over the side) to catch the distilled water.
It works by mains water going into the condenser at the side (to cool the steam) and then flows into the main body where it boils. The steam is generated by the boiling and goes up and over in the U tube to be condensed back into distilled water.
The main thing is to get the pressure, coming from the mains, correct. Look into the overflow of the condenser (smallest upright pipe) and you will see the water running. If this overflows, you've got the water flowing too fast, so turn the tap off a bit.
The best way to know if it is working properly, is to test a little of the distilled water by adding a few drops of silver nitrate solution. If it stays clear your distilled water is fine. If it goes cloudy it is not working properly; sometimes the overflow with the tap water contaminates the distilled water. I always check each 2½ litre bottle with the silver nitrate.
I can fax the instructions that came with the still, to you if you want and give me your fax number. But they are not particularly user friendly. Don't hesitate to ask for any clarification. :D
mrsd

Post by mrsd »

thanks "dime" will take up your offer of faxing 08 80878267 attention Linda Dowd
Linda
dime

Post by dime »

Just checking before faxing Linda, is the 08 part of the number correct, as I notice you are in NSW and is normally 02. :-?
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

If you do need distilled water Big W have it in their car care section. Approx $7 for 4 litres.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
mrsd

Post by mrsd »

yes dime the 08 is correct we are only 50 km from the south australia border so we have their area code and also on their time CST thanks nikcykinz already checked out that i can buy it if i cant work the contraption thanks
Linda