potassium Chlorate

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

potassium Chlorate

Post by Phoenix »

Hi all,

I know this subject has been hashed out before on chem talk but If anyone can give some additional conformation it would be great. All I have from Ed QLD is the following:
List of prohibited chemicals
Students (EQ Schools)
Potassium chlorate in the preparation of oxygen with manganese dioxide as a catalyst (potentially explosive)
Benzene
Carbon tetrachloride

I have done this prac before and have teachers again wanting to perform the burning sucrose (gummy bear) prac. Has anyone else performed this recently and know if this chemical is allowed? I actually have quite a bit of potassium chlorate in stock. I'm now unsure as what to do with it?

Cheers
Kel
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: potassium Chlorate

Post by Labbie »

IS banned in DEC SChools, from the CSIS, Its a NO NO NO NO
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks Labbie,

I know QLD and NSW don't always match up but I'll defer to the greater knowledge of people on Chemtalk [-o<
Cheers :D
Kel
Mau23
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: The Geelong College - Middle School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Mau23 »

We did this experiment at the end of last year. We made sure it was set up in a fume cupboard and left it venting for ages. We also then just threw out the used test tube (easier then cleaning).

I think as long as you are careful and do it in a fume cupboard it should be fine. I loved seeing it done, so did the teachers.
dime

Post by dime »

Just remember that it is explosive by friction. I know we always use a clean spoon for each chemical, but double check this, as contamination by another chemical on a spoon can cause explosion. Was told this 19 years ago about 4 weeks after I started and have never forgotten it. 8O Don't need to really remember now, as it has been banned here some years ago.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Currently potassium chlorate is not banned here. The chemical would be used for teacher demonstrations only with the screaming jelly baby prac. which really hasn't been done for some time. I originally downloaded the prac from the internet for the teachers to do during science week and the end of term things to entertain the students.

Lyn
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I have had a teacher ask about this prac this morning. We have no potassium chlorate in stock & when I went to do a chcek on Phillip Crisp's riskasses it said users : none I assume this means it is banned from schools. We won't be doing it.
Jodye