PD day on chemical security

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: PD day on chemical security

Post by MariaC »

:clap3: I just want to congratulate the organisers of this day! It was fantastic, learnt heaps, great location and put names to many faces :w00t: Thanks again MariaC
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Yes - we had a lovely day too.
Thanks to the ASET Team for all the heard work that goes into putting on a day like this.
The venue was lovely - and it was nice to go for a little walk next door for lunch.

Now to getting re-labelling some of my solution bottles....
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

May I say on behalf of the Newcastle crew on the way back in the train, there was nothing but praise for the organisation of the day.
Thanks! Margaret
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Thank you to all who attended. Without you the day would not have the success that it was.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thank you ladies for organising the day for us. It was very interesting.
I have just emailed the district OH@S person to see if the DEC has any plans to let us know what we are expected to do by when regarding the GHS. Should be interesting to see what they say as last time I asked they didn't seem to know anything and said they would be getting back to me.
Helen
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

great helen,
if you could let us know the feedback you get that would be great.
I logged on to Chemgold III today to try and look for the GHS labels but couldn't find that option anywhere, so not doing any label printing today...
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

A really top day, thank you very much. I do hope Tracey has dried out now, Not my fault, the little tables are no good for tea or coffee. Once I catch up I too shall be looking into the GHS labels.

Thank you all so very much.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I just spoke to Anna on chemwatch, Look for the tempate gallery for printing out labels. For MSDS, Bring up copper sulfate, click on Gold MSDS, once copper sulfate is us, click on options, blue under lined on the top of the MSDS, click on GHS button, scroll down and click save, then all your MSDS will be in GHS, or until you change it. Remember you have five years to get all your MSDS in GHS system, so no hurry.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

FANTASTIC DAY! Congratulatiosn to all those involved in the organization.
NOW to explain to all our schools what is required and to ask for extra time to implement it.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Labbie wrote:, Look for the tempate gallery for printing out labels. For MSDS, Bring up copper sulfate, click on Gold MSDS, once copper sulfate is us, click on options, blue under lined on the top of the MSDS, click on GHS button, scroll down and click save, then all your MSDS will be in GHS, or until you change it. Remember you have five years to get all your MSDS in GHS system, so no hurry.
Is that in ChemGold III, i can;'t see template gallery 8-[
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Narelle, the template gallery is the options that come up with the type of labels you can print eg. small label 3 to a page that sort of thing. There are a few GHS label in there.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

many thanks - off to my solutions store room now
(its not the place i have all the answers unfortunately) ;)
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Please for us country bumpkins who were unable to attend.
What is the GHS system???
What do we have to have done by a certain time??
What has to be implemented??
I think I missed something somewhere! I am getting confused..
Thanks, Trish.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

Hi Trish,
GHS is the Globally Harmonised System for chemical classification and labelling put forward by the UN. We have been using it in NZ for a couple of years already. Not sure what your timeframe is! You might find this link useful... http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tran ... zcom_e.pdf
linotas

Post by linotas »

Trish, it comes into play in Aus on 1st Jan 2012. Worksafe Australia has info you can download. Basically it means slightly changed classification of chemicals and different labels and MSDS's. Pictograms are slightly different and then have implemented hazard phrases as well as pictograms.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thank you again, Smeee, and your organising committee - from following this thread, it sounds like everyone was very appreciative of the day last week.

Now I'm sure many others who, like me, were unable to attend are very keen to hear more.

Margaret, I've just had a look at the Aset NSW website and can see that the documents are there for us to view, then realised I need a member login to open them. Fair enough!

I actually (finally) got around to posting my application off last week. (Our budget's been spent, and obviously my request for the school to cover membership costs wasn't a priority :-| ) Being involved in this group is too important for me to wait around for that to happen so I got organised and did it (though next time the fees are due I will approach the funding issue again).

Now I'm content to wait until my membership details are returned, and look forward to reading all the information then.

Thank you, JelJane for the link you posted. By the sounds of things, there's plenty more work ahead! :crazy:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Ian D'Souza spoke about the securing of various chemicals.. I have in my notes that we are to secure them and have them locked up and strictly controlled.. my HOD disputes this - he said that he read the legislation from the link I sent him and nowhere does it say that we have to have them locked up. Can anyone clarify this - at the moment peroxide and bromine are in a fridge accessible by students, and HOD wants them left there.. is there any contact email fro Ian D'Souza
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

at the moment peroxide and bromine are in a fridge accessible by students, and HOD wants them left there

WOW our students don't have access to the prep. room. our teachers don't even have access to the chemical rooms. My HT has a key if I'm not here and the office for emergencies.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

We have not yet heard anything from the NSW Dept of Education & Community regarding how 'they/we' will be approaching this legislation, and it's difficult to get our questions answered.

I do hope there is unification across all schools, both private and government!

I urge all labbies to join ASET-NSW. The advocacy role this association will be in a position to undertake for us will make a great difference to achieving better outcomes for the future - for both recognition and awareness of the science technician job, and for training opportunities.

Wish I'd been there last week!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
linotas

Post by linotas »

macca wrote:at the moment peroxide and bromine are in a fridge accessible by students, and HOD wants them left there

WOW our students don't have access to the prep. room. our teachers don't even have access to the chemical rooms. My HT has a key if I'm not here and the office for emergencies.
Only myself (my job share) and HOD have access to our chem store. Working solutions are kept in the general prep room, so teachers have access but not students. Dito anything kept in the fridge.

I would be interested to know if being locked up is an interpretation or actually written somewhere. I currently have the 96 pg "summary" of of the GHS Chem labelling and storage, but havent started reading it yet :crazy: