Lab. Tech. status update

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Lab. Tech. status update

Post by Ocker »

I'm 0.2666
Hello there are people worse than me!
I don't feel so bad now
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I just redid my calcs and find I am 0.29.
Yikes - NOW I know why I am so frantically busy and so tired at the end of the day!
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:coffee: There's two of us here, me fulltime, another 15 hrs a week and that still only brings us up too 0.35!!! MariaC
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

My goodness!! How big is your school??
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

About 1100, K -12 but we have IB and HSC classes!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Calculated for Science only, mine is 0.37, but I also cover Ag (177 hrs) which brings it down to 0.18.

Comparatively, Ag don't ask for many pracs, however their photocopying requests are huge and time-consuming.
Binding is very popular with both faculties, and involves carrying to/from across the campus to the Front Office.

Wish I could also add separately the time spent on full Library duties for Science textbooks, one per student - even including invoicing and chasing up payment for lost/damaged books.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Hi everyone
Is there anymore news on this. I am trying to get ammunition to increase my hours. I currently work out at around 0.3 (depending whether you include the year 6 & 7's or not). Is this just a draft or is it more than that? Where can i find a proper copy of it?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

Thisis on the agenda at CONASTA in July
Let me know your email address and I will forward the latest
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

Is this the ratio of YOUR HOURS/TOTAL SCIENCE TEACHING HOURS per week?

If it is, I'm 0.346

This doesn't account for Ag Science, that involves little and occasional input on my part. If It did, I'm down to 0.288
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
nickykinz

Post by nickykinz »

Yes that's right. I worked it out as number of timetabled science lessons a week multiplied by 47.5 mins (that is the average length of a lesson here, i just counted 2 lessons for any doubles) divided by 60 to get the number of science teaching hours. Then divided the number of hours I work by the number of teaching hours. If I include all from 6 - 12 (we are prep - 12 but I don't really do anything for lower down the school) it comes out as 0.27. The 6 and 7's have a certain number of hours of science they are meant to do but don't always do, so I did try taking that out to see what difference it makes and I come out as 0.32. I think they should be included though as when they are doing stuff it is often quite labour intensive stuff (kitchen type science, lots of shopping and washing up!). Either way it is far below the recommended minimum of 0.6 and ideal of 0.85! Looks like many of us are in the same boat though.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
General
State/Location: TAS

Post by General »

My bad. I'm actually 0.218. Which doesn't include the year 4s, 5s, and 6s (of which there are 2 classes of each) because they are infrequent "customers".
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns

Post by dss8386 »

I work 28 hours a week with 35 science classes a week in 5 labs. We have about 750+ students and I dont work holidays. I am not sure how to work it out but i can tell you, I struggle and when I get teachers complaining, I don't let it worry me because I am not full time. If they complain hard enough i might get full time. I clean up at the end of the term, whatever mess they make during the term, its the teachers problem not mine, I have enough to do especially trying to set up Risk assessment and updating chemicals registers and MSDS. That is my priority over cleaning.
lada

Post by lada »

Thats a lot, David. I work 37hrs during term time and have about 750 students, but also yr 5 and 6 of which I have 2 classes each. I prepare senior classes first, then juniors 7-10 and if time allows, yr 6 and 5.
Teachers are very understanding, and if times are too busy, they do some computer work with the little ones.
Lada
nickykinz

Post by nickykinz »

I've been having another look at this as I have been trying to get extra hours for myself and maybe some help. They have said we need to provide a new job description to show why I need more hours. a) I didn't know I had an old job description and b) i'm not doing different things just more of it!
Anyway I went on the CLEAPSS website to read their article about technicians and realised that I have been working out my ratio wrong. I am term time only so I am meant to divide my hours over 52 weeks. That makes my ratio even worse. So with the extra 2 hours they are planning on giving me, and not including year 7 and below even though I do sometimes work for them, my ratio is 0.27. Yay!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College