What next

for anything else that doesn't fit.
coxy
State/Location: NSW

What next

Post by coxy »

Our Science block (6 Labs, 4 Prep rooms, 1 staff room, and 3 store rooms, plus Chem store) has been unable to get air-conditioning due to the fact the electrical system is not powerful enough to support it (so I have been told). In fact, we can no longer have any new lights because the connections are so old, they don't make the neon or phosphorous tubes any more. But a week ago we were advised that the DET is having a wheelchair accessible LIFT installed, attached to the Science Block. The ramp will cost $300,000 and the lift $100,000. The ramp/lift will be built onto the outside of one of my store-rooms (I lose at least half a store-room) and right beside the chem store.
At this stage we do have a support unit based at this school, but also have three Science labs situated on the ground floor level of the science block. The only other rooms which can be accessed from this level would be two music classrooms - all other subjects are over the other side of the school... HSIE, English, Maths, Art, Home Science.
Wouldn't one think the electrical problems would be fixed, first??
Is it just me or does anyone else see a problem with this??
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: What next

Post by lizzieb »

Won't the current electrial system have to be upgraded first in order to handle the demand of an elevator? #-o
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

A LIFT requires power - so while they are hooking up new power for the lift ask for an extension...
as to the lift, can you just SEND it to me...please... I need it for ME :rolleyes:
coxy

Post by coxy »

I have spoken to HT about the electrical needs, but nobody here seems worried. They all have absolute faith in the contractors from the DET!!
No. 1 - I don't want the lift; I don't want it blocking ALL the sunshine and natural light into our Staff room; I don't want to lose half my store room, and I am a little worried that it will also be directly behind my Chemical Store Room. All this AND they still haven't fixed the fume cupboard issue from almost 5 years ago!! Oh well.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Have you considered bringing your concerns to the attention of DET directly? You can contact them through the 'contact us' section on the home page. Worth getting it in writing before they start! Mention the loss of space, the electricity issues (to the best of your knowledge) and any other concerns and outline how detrimental you think it would be and could they please re-consider the design. Also mention the fume cupboard issue and ask why this lift is so much more important than the other issues that have been ignored for so long.