xylem and phloem slides

and any other non-chem subjects.
louie
State/Location: NSW

xylem and phloem slides

Post by louie »

Hi everyone, my bio teacher wants to know is there any thing else we can use to make slides for showing xylem and phloem other than celery . I think she needs a change ... don't we all ,cheers Sue :D
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hi Sue the only thing I can think of is spinach stalk or rhubarb but you could not pick up eiosen stain in rhubarb!
Cheers Graeme
louie

xylem and phloem

Post by louie »

Thanks Graeme - I'll give them a try
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I asked my Bio teacher. She just buys prepared slides.
Science Supply Australia (ph. 1300 857 544, web. http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451) have a good range of monocots, dicot stem ts's for about $7.50 each
Regards,
Ian
louie

xylem and phloem

Post by louie »

Thanks Ian ,yes they're good. They will look at those but they also make their own. cheers Sue
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Sue... you can also use stems of coleus, geranium, wandering Jew, Impatiens and squash. Just make sure that its newer growth... woody not good. I have heard that privet can also be used, but I think thats toxic (and noxious!) :-)
JudyM

Xylem & Phloem Slides

Post by JudyM »

Hi Sue,

We use bok choy instead of celery. It comes in twos from the supermarket & & I put one in eosin & the other in methylene blue.

Give it a try - it's softer than celery making it easier for the students to get a thinner section & the methylene blue shows the phloem structures better than the eosin.

regards
Judy
;-)
louie

Post by louie »

Thanks for all these great suggestions - will use :D
General
State/Location: TAS

Post by General »

Hi, we use nasturtium stems. If you cut them on a 45 degree angle you see the spring shape of the xylem. Water and air bubbles are sometimes visible.
We also use the leaves when testing plants for starch and for printing negatives with silver nitrate. We have some groing near the staff car park, it's very handy.
louie

Post by louie »

This sounds great and I usually have a lot of nastursiums in my garden , Thanks :D