Risk Assess: Victorian Labbies

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
amandag
State/Location: VIC

Risk Assess: Victorian Labbies

Post by amandag »

Hello,
This is a question for Victorian laboratory Technician, who uses Risk Assess by Dr Philip Crisp. I will be implenting this in Term 2, but a certain person (no name to be mentioned as I was threatened with being sued.) said it was not legal in Victoria, it did not meet Victoria OHS, neither did books that publish risk assessments...but the LTAV data base does meet regulation. :cheesy: Rang worksafe..checked this out...no problems with riskassess or books...

how many other schools are using Risk assess ?
rell

Re: Risk Assess: Victorian Labbies

Post by rell »

Hi they certainly used a heavy hand. I have been using riskassess for 12 months. Fantastic program. Also we have had a ohs audit and there were no problems
Rell
vic labbie
lorelirag

Post by lorelirag »

Hi Amanda

Our school has been using this system for about 18 months now and the majority of teachers are very good about using it to request pracs as well as provide the risk assessment. This was something my predecessor found very hard to get the teachers to do consistently. I think the teachers have warmed to this system because it is all there 'at their finger tips'. :clap3:

cheers,
Lorna
Voice

Post by Voice »

I do believe that Risk Assess is acceptable in all Victorian schools.
However, it is not acceptable to me. Why? Because it does not tell you what to do if a risk becomes a reality. e.g. What if a student tastes potassium chloride, what does the teacher do regarding first aid?

This is a fault of the program. Some things just need to be treated before the student goes to the first aid rooms.
Maree
aedwards
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: Korowa AGS
Suburb: Glen Iris

Post by aedwards »

The way I see it is that all risk assessments that are published Dimensions Riskassess Chemwatch will do the job of allowing our teachers to show that they recognise and have read the hazards connected with the activity they are doing. The big question that NONE of us can answer is how that will be addressed in the situation where Worksafe or our insurers need to assesss whether proper steps have been taken.
either way it is the teacher who has the duty of care. We can opnly provide the support - and that certainly isn't shielding our teachers from the responsibility - or the consequense - of writing their own RAs.
If using a prescribed form manages that then I think it's a good thing.
We use a variety of forms depending on the teacher - including Risk Assess, custom built forms which we created in consultation with each other as a department, Chemwatch. We use them all.
As we've seen from the variety of messages on this and other lists, there is no easy answer. Even the Government isn't clear on the legal stance. Let's hope it's never put to the test and that our labs stay the safe (relatively) places they are.
aedwards
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: Korowa AGS
Suburb: Glen Iris

Post by aedwards »

That was my problem to Maree - which is why we came up with a form of our own which has a response box as well. Also first aid responses are included in the MSDS
rodannt

Post by rodannt »

I have been using the program for a couple of years and love it and it is getting improved all the time, I find Chemwatch to be a pain in the neck to use!!