air conditioners in school

for anything else that doesn't fit.
jodye
Suburb: central coast
State/Location: NSW

air conditioners in school

Post by jodye »

Hi All,

With the recent heatwave here in NSW ,I was wandering how many of you have airconditioners throughout your school?
I am on the P & C here at school & have been hounded by parents,students & even teachers about this,so any help would be appreciated.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: air conditioners in school

Post by Labbie »

No air conditioners in class rooms or prep rooms.. Yes one in the staff room.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Jodye,
we have airconditioning in all classrooms, staff rooms & even my prep room, yes we are very lucky. I wouldnt have coped last week without it.
Cheers
Lisa
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Air conditioning in 3 classrooms in a demountable building and the server room.
I'm lucky I have 3 ceiling fans and I brought a fan from home last week.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

The only a/c here is the princpals office, front office, server rooms, learning centre (computers) and a work room in the library.
I have ceiling fans and a fan I bought from home that I stuck a huge dish of ice in front of to act as an a/c.

My prep room has a bit of a flow thru - 2 doors in line with each other, but having them open means security is very low...

I melted last week!
I have found that more primary schools are a/c than high schools.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

WOW I thought all schools were airconditioned now- a -days. Every room in the school is airconditioned here except my prep rooms :cry2: But I have a separate office that Is air-conned so I cope very well, I choose my times to go upstairs and wash up, prepare etc.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

5 Labs only have ceiling fans.
4 dry labs - 2 with a/c's , 2 with ceiling fans
2 preprooms - 1 with ceiling fan, 1 with NOTHING ! Stupid windows that open out 30cms don't allow for a cross draft if door open.
Staffroom has A/c as well as Admin offices and some classrooms.
Most classrooms have ceiling fans.
Lucky I found an old Mistral Oscillating fan for the new preproom and that has made life bearable during the heatwave conditions. :hitthefan:

I don't know what the hue and cry is all about these days....we coped ok without a/c and ceiling fans when we were at school :crazy:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

all classrooms here have evaporative air con, which on most days is fine in the west as humidity is low. My prep room had a reverse cycle installed last summer so I have refrigerated air con! (and its a nicer heat than the stifling gas heater in the winter). The staff are yet to have any air con in their staffrooms, that is the next phase. I got mine first as one very nice metalwork teacher argued that I am in my room all day, the teachers are in their staffrooms only during dot time so they can wait! :clap3: :clap3:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

NO A/C'S in any class rooms here except Computer rooms and the two DP's office and the front Office's , G Block Office and print room and library.
Prep room has one fan NOT WORKING STILL :redcard: brought in a fan from home.
Noona
NOT HAPPY :cry2:
dime

Post by dime »

All of our school is A/c with mainly evaporative which is ok in the west of NSW. But it sure doesn't work when it is humid, which seems to be increasing. So all of the staff rooms have reverse cycle. With the refurb, they removed the ceiling fans and did not replace them. You do need both air movement and the evaporative when very hot. So I have to go and buy 9 fans on stands for the labs and preproom. With an OH & S audit this afternoon I don't think the fans will be good idea. Oh well, we at least have more that some.
People on the coast probably don't know what an evaporative A/c is as they can't be used with humidity. You only see them over the great divide!
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Almost all the classrooms here have A/C, all of the reverse cycle variety. The exception being the science area that has none. :-(
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

We recently finished the new building and the only room with air con is the teachers staff room. All the labs have fans. The prep room has nothing, not even any cross ventilation, the air in here doesn't move at all. I recorded the temp. last week and had a high of 34C and a low of 32C. Was so glad I wasn't here on Saturday. Although the potatoes that one of the teachers left out in the prep room after a prac on Friday afternoon really made the prep room unbearable on Monday morning, the stench was horrible.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Aircons and fans in everyroom here!
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

I dont know about you Smee but I certainly remember being hot and sweaty and very uncomfortable at school especially coming into class after PE. Growing up in Narrabri NW NSW was extremely hot and air-conditioners would have been a welcome additions to both teachers and students.

I say if you can get them into all class rooms all the better for everyone, I know students are not as irritable when the air cons are on. Usually when one breaks down here the teachers take the students outside as its generally cooler outside under a shady tree (though we dont have many of them left now thanks to YASI) then inside.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

There are some rooms across the school with aircon here, but out of the 7 science labs, only 2 are lucky enough to have it. Teachers comment about the difference btween the students who work in those labs in the hot, humid weather. The office, printroom, library and principal and deputies have it supplied too. As for our staffroom, we banded together several years ago and paid for our own. It was the only way we were ever going to get any. It cost each of us close to $100 but the relief it has given has been well worth it!
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

We have a/c throughout the school and offices. Mind you in the first year and a bit, I did not have it in the prep room and it was addressed by my then HT/HOSS.
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Notice the one thing in common at all schools.....principals, deputys and office ladies all have aircon. No suprises there. :cheesy:
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

All 4 labs have A/C; prep room has ceiling fans only. :-({|=
On friday, had doors open to 2 adjacent labs with A/C going; kept it to 31.5degC in PR (38.8 just outside on verandah).
Xe, SD, KOPR
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey Nicky, I'm with you - wow!

All of our rooms are aircon'ed. Even our gym-cum-assembly hall.

Finally! An advantage to living in the Far North (apart from the sunshine, the rainforest & the Great Barrier Reef that is).
Cheers, K 8-)
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Our school is air conditioned in one building only. The science labs and prep rooms have air con but the science staff room and the other staff room in this building doesn't. Our office ladies don't but the principal does (both are in the same building). My children attend a school closer to our home and theirs is a brand new "green" school. This means no air con in any of the buildings except the front office. They rely on cross ventillation and ceiling fans. :crazy: I can't believe it in this day and age. There are some very green air conditioning systems out there.
I grew up in the central west of NSW and my old high school had air conditioning in it (and that was over 20 years ago). Mind you with temps of up to and over 40 degrees in summer we really needed it.
Tigger