Volumetric flasks

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
JudyM
State/Location: NSW

Volumetric flasks

Post by JudyM »

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy 3L volumetric flasks from?
I'm often asked for 2.5L of a soln to be made volumetrically & having to make 2 lots & then mix them is a real pain.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Judy :?:
ri

Volumetric flasks

Post by ri »

Hi Judy,
a 3 litre volumetric flask IS an unusual size and none of my catalogues so far list it. You could try getting a 5 litre flask, which is listed. I'll keep trying...
Cheers,
~Robyn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

hi Judy,
There are only 1,2 and 5 L available, tell you teachers you can make only 2 L
Cheers Jazz
JudyM

Volumetric flasks

Post by JudyM »

Thanks ri & Jazz,

I did buy a 5l flask but have only used it once. I was storing the leftover 2.5L but maybe I could just neutralise it & tip down the sink.

I'll keep looking but thanks anyway

Judy
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

If you DO buy a larger size volumetric flask.. please make sure that its not a "cheapie". Better to buy a better quality one than to have anybody bits covered with acid and shattered glass. Look at where its made, and check the quality of the glass when it arrives. If in doubt dont use. The flask gets heavy , possibly hot, and I had a cheaper less robust one blow out once. Fortunately all safetty controls were in place so no harm. But scarey, what!? :-o
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Re: Volumetric flasks

Post by RosalieL »

Can anyone tell me the difference between A grade and B grade for volumetric flasks? I am looking at getting some 2L ones and the prices vary so much!! I don't want to go cheap but also don't want to pay more than necessary!

For example, MTA currently have these on sale:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.51.43 pm.png
SSA has these:
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.53.49 pm.png
Westlab has these: (The second one is actually $53.50 when you select the 2000ml size).
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 12.56.54 pm.png
Any recommendations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

What is the difference between Class A and B volumetric flask?
The main difference between Class A and Class B glassware is their manufacturing materials. Class A is made of strong borosilicate material, while Class B is made from soda-lime material, which makes Class A glassware superior for chemical experiments.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Class A will be more accurate than B. If you are going to the trouble of using a volumetric flask, you may want to consider the Class A. But I'd keep it for myself, don't let teachers or students use it. If it is for student use, just get the Class B.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

I have purchased 5L flasks in a different life..... I found they are way to heavy to be using, will not purchase again.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Taken from Google - Class A Borosilicate volumetric glassware has superior thermal and chemical resistance and is better suited to glassware for storage of solutions, e.g. flasks. The use of Class A borosilicate glass for volumetric glassware means accuracy is retained over a longer working lifetime than their soda-lime equivalents.28 June 2020

A quick guide to Classifications of Laboratory Glasswarehttps://camblab.info › a-quick-guide-to-classifications
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks all! I'm purchasing them for me for making up stock solutions so I've gone with the A grade clearance ones from westlab. I figure I can't really go wrong for $16 each! They've already been shipped (they only had 2 left) and I'm looking forward to being able to make up stock solutions soon. I bought the 2.5L jerry can style bottles last year and winchesters for the acids. Our current system is a bit of a mess... Lots of different sized bottles, reused bottles (eg from deionised water - labels removed of course!), reagent bottles with stoppers as well as other glass bottles and it looks messy in addition to not being up to standard. I am looking forward to a chem store overhaul! Now to find the bench space before the flasks arrive...