Nanotechnology

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

Nanotechnology

Post by Rita »

Good Morning All You Smart People

I admit it ... I'm ignorant of this topic.

I have been asked to cost goods for a number of pracs using

Nitinol wire, nanofabric, ferrofluid, sunscreen with and without nanoparticles, aerogel.

Has anyone done these pracs? Where would I look for these goods please?

Rita
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Nanotechnology

Post by RosalieM »

Southern biological has ferrofluid. Not sure where else has it. We got a tiny vial (containing about 1 or 2 mls) for I think close to $10. As for the other things, I am completley ignorant also!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Prof. Bunsen has ferrofluid $39 for 60ml and nitinol wire $29.50 for 50cm.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Prof Bunsen sells Nitinol wire and ferrofluid.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I just googled 'sunscreen nanoparticles' and found this:

Subject: Sunscreen Nanoparticles
A CONSUMER group is calling for more transparency on what goes into sunscreen, after many leading brands were found to contain nanoparticles.

There is debate over whether the particles, which are smaller than 100 billionths of a metre, can penetrate the skin and have harmful side-effects, says CHOICE.

Yet many sunscreen makers have added nano-grade titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to their product formulations, enabling them to offer the same sun protection but go on clear and with less skin residue.

"The jury is out on whether nanoparticles found in sunscreens can penetrate the skin and make their way to living cells," CHOICE spokesman Christopher Zinn said in a statement today.

"We say these ingredients should be proven safe before they come on to the market.

"In the meantime, nanoparticles should be labelled on products so consumers can avoid them if they're concerned."

CHOICE tested 12 SPF 30+ sunscreens and found nanoparticles in eight, although only one sample of L'Oreal UV Perfect contained a significant amount.

Of the four nano-free products tested, Mr Zinn said Cancer Council Classic Sunscreen was particularly recommended because it also did not contain "chemical absorbers" which have their own endocrine-disrupting concerns.

Nivea Sun Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion, Hamilton Everyday Face Sunscreen Lotion and Banana Boat Sensitive Sunscreen were also free of nano-size particles.

Mr Zinn said some scientists have warned that nanoparticles could be absorbed through the skin, or hair, and this could cause cell damage.

After conducting two research reviews, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has concluded there was evidence zinc oxide and titanium may damage cells though it was questionable whether nanoparticles could penetrate the body's outer "dead" layer of skin.

"That's why we need more research in this area," Mr Zinn said.

"When it comes to sun protection, 'slip, slop and slap' is still good advice but we need to be sure that with nano ingredients, the 'slopping' doesn't do more harm than good."
8-[

Interesting, yes?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Southern Biological have most of the things you mentioned. Check their website and look under Kits and Equipment for Nanotechnology. I have their home page on my list of favourites so I don't have to go hunting for the site.
Lyn.
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

If I am not mistaken, orthodontic arch wires(which many of our students are very familiar with!) are made from nitinol wire. I am considering buying some of these as I reckon it will be cheaper. Arch wires can be bought on ebay- although their memory is set in the arch shape, they can still have the memory reset with heating and cooling. The size of the piece of memory wire available from scientific school suppliers is quite small- about 8cm - so an orthodontic arch wire is good value. Has any one used these? Really interested to hear if you think it would be a goer!!
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Great idea! I might go ask a parent who is a dentist! Thanks for that!
Cheers, K 8-)
angela
State/Location: VIC

Post by angela »

maybe look to one of your suppliers for the nanobits welcome pack. Has manual, CD ROM and materials for 12 nano experiments. A nice resource for about $120. Haines Educational here in Vic supply it. Cheers, Angela.
Rita

Post by Rita »

THANKS everyone, you have really helped me out.

Rita