A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri
State/Location: NSW

Cobalt chloride

Post by Cin »

Re the use of Cobalt chloride.
Why is Cobalt chloride only a Green labelled chemical ? When you read the Health info it says 'May cause Cancer by inhalation'. I'm not keen to use it. - Cindy
dime

Re: Cobalt chloride

Post by dime »

I guess the risk has been assessed as being minimal as used in the school environment. And then only if you inhale it. The salt is damp in the hexahydrate form, so it would be extremely unlikely that you would inhale it. It also says it can cause sensitisation, so use gloves to weigh it out.
judimas
State/Location: NZ

Post by judimas »

Colbalt chloride is only a problem in its dry form. So never cut or tear cobalt chloride paper and we always use tweezers when handling the paper.
Judith
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

On the theme of cobalt chloride, I have some in solution with a molarity of 1.7, any ideas why this odd amount? I have been asked to 2M and was wondering if the 1.7 is saturated. Chemistry is not my strong point!
Hilly
State/Location: WA

Post by Hilly »

Hi Merilyn
The MW of Cobalt Chloride is 129.84, and the Solubility is 450grams per litre, so a sat sol would contain 450g/L. A 1 M would only have 129.84g in it so I have no idea why the 1.7M sol would actually be needed. :unsure:
Hilly
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The Risk phrases on some chemicals do not reflect on the label system of the DET. Some chemicals have certain dagers accociated with them but these have very low frequncies of causing these conditions.

We also have to take into consideration the physical aspects of the substance. By right the dangers of all chemicals should be taken as a worst case senario to prevent exposure.

Cobalt chloride is not easily air borne and very rarely does it produce dust. (I have never experienced this).

All of these factors will always lead to categorising each chemical accordingly. Even as advertised in the relevant MSDS.

It is good to see people are picking up on these things... and your way of thinking is always on safety. Excellent.

Also on the topic of Cobalt Chloride concentration....

There has been a deliberate quantity to give the 1.7M solution. This looks like it has been used in a titration to determine the amount of Co in this sample solution.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 16 Sep 2010, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Addition of text
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **