Sudan III

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Sudan III

Post by RosalieM »

I know this has been covered before more than once, and I have just been through all the posts... but I still have not had any success making sudan III using the recipe from 'The Laboratory'. It always mixes with the water instead... Does anyone else have this problem? Is there another recipe floating around out there??

There has also been a lot of discussion about it's carcinogenicity. So I looked it up. It is a group 3 carcinogen which, according to World Health Organisation's International Agency for Research on Cancer, is "Not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans".

There is a long list of substances, and some familiar ones on this list include:
- caffeine
- chlorinated drinking water
- cholesterol
- fluorescent lighting
- hydrochloric acid
- magnetic fields (static)
- nylon
- paracetamol
- talc
- tea
- vitamin K

Here is the link: http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classific ... thgr03.php
Narelle01

Re: Sudan III

Post by Narelle01 »

so that makes me feel really good as put down my tea cup, look up at the fluro lights above my head and wait for the pandaol to kick in for the headache i got....
hmmmmm

As to the Sudan III i had never heard of it til i started this stock take :giggle:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Geeezzzzzzzz going on that list I'm stu*&#% :w00t:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

ME TOOOOOOO :crazy: maybe thats why I sometimes think I going mad :cheesy: :cheesy:
lada

Post by lada »

Well, I just reverse the effects of nasties :yuck:
with some red wine and dark chocolates, knowing its doing me good. :cheesy:
Lada :drunk:
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi RosalieM
I have an old "Manual for School Assistants Working in Science" that I use at times and it says Sudan III: Make a saturated solution of sudan III in equal parts of 70% ethanol and acetone. Then dilute this solution by taking 6 parts of it to 4 parts of ethanol."
I have never had to make it (the stock hasn't run out yet),so don't know if this works. If you use it, could you tell us whether it works or not please? Sooner or later I will have to make some more.
Regards
Sue G
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thank you, Sue. The one I have didn't have acetone in it so maybe that will make a difference. Not sure when I'll get a chance to make it (the prac has been and gone so there's no urgency but I would like to try it before the next time it comes around!).

As for the others, I posted this to say I dont think there is any real concern over Sudan III, not to scare you about the other 'every day' things!! I figure if it's not classifiable then it can't be that bad...
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi RosalieM,
Tried to put a website on here so you could check out further recipes but it didn't seem to work. So the next best thing is to tell you to google - histo recipes index file - which will give you the website to check. Lots of stain recipes including Sudan lll to be made up as for Scarlet R. Mind you there are three ways of making up that stain including using propylene glycol.
Lyn.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Lyn I will check that out as well. I did google it the other day but I just googled Sudan Stain and not recipe so all I got was what it is used for... Thanks :)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

I have it made up as per The Laboratory with ethanol but the teacher likes to put the dry powder into the test tube with the oil in it.

I hate the stuff mainly from the point that it is so hard to wash off anything. I put the test tube he has used straight into the broken glass bin.

Wendy
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Found this thread...
I need to make it up, as while I was gone, it all got used.....
So can someone please translate the steps from the CSIS..about the acetone and ethanol...how much sudan iii powder do i use..
or let me know the recipe from the laboratory - thanks!!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

The Laboratory: 0.5g Sudan III ,100ml 70% ethanol
Mix the stain with the alcohol. Warm solution in a water bath until stain is dissolved. Filter.

Caution: Sudan III is a suspected carcinogen.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

thanks....will do it tomorrow now....in the fume cupboard which doesn't work properly, with my full face mask on, and my goggles, and a labcoat...that should protect me :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sudan III is carcinogenic only if ingested. It is illegal to use it as food additives or dyes (used a lot in Indian cooking). If you need it just for colouring fat (oils) you can use any oil based colour (be nice to art department) :-)
Cheers Jazz
noona
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Well I need to give up drinking water coffee and tea well the just leaves me with red wine to drink :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
lada

Post by lada »

Yep, Noona,
thats it. Red wine and chocolate!!
Lada
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Hi guys
I am a bit confused about the fat test with sudan III/sudan IV. Teacher asked to do fat test and on the sheet it said Sudan III. We had sudan IV but apparently that does the same thing so thought I would test it. It was bought ready made up as a 0.5% solution from Southern Biological. It does stain the oil red but it also stains the water. We were going to use milk to test for different things but when you add it to the milk the whole thing just goes pink. :-( How is it meant to work?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

nickykinz wrote:Hi guys
I am a bit confused about the fat test with sudan III/sudan IV. Teacher asked to do fat test and on the sheet it said Sudan III. We had sudan IV but apparently that does the same thing so thought I would test it. It was bought ready made up as a 0.5% solution from Southern Biological. It does stain the oil red but it also stains the water. We were going to use milk to test for different things but when you add it to the milk the whole thing just goes pink. :-( How is it meant to work?
Sudan(III), Sudan(IV), are meant to stain lipids. It should not disolve in water; but it will in ethanol.

Only add a few drops to an aloquat of aqueous sample, shake well, then stand long enough for the stained-oil to seperate from water.

Try it with various milks; such as non-fat, full-cream, et cetera.
mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I thought SudanIV was a known carcinogen.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

As far as I know Sudan II, III, and IV have been classified as carcinogen category 3 by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is: "not classifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans."

Has there been a recent update?