Stock Solutions

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Satu11
State/Location: QLD

Stock Solutions

Post by Satu11 »

Hello everyone,

Could anybody tell me from where could I get recipes of making stock solutions of Potassium,Magnesium,nitrogen etc.

thanx
Kind Regards
Satu11
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: Stock Solutions

Post by Ian »

You need a book called "The Laboratory - a Science reference and preparation manual for schools" by Barbara Dungey. It is available from Southern Biological in Melbourne for about $70, and is worth it's weight in gold!

cheers
Ian :grin:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Potassium what?, Magnesium what? What prac are you doing? Do you have a copy of "The Laboratory-a science & preparation manual" by B. Dungey. This is an extremely useful book for all lab techs. Southern Biological sell the manual. If you don't have a copy just let us know which chemical (full name please) you want to make up and some of us may be able to put some quick recipes on line for you.
Lyn.
Satu11

Post by Satu11 »

Thanx Ian and Lyn,

I have got that book....But the teacher just said to prepare stock sol of poatssium,magnesium,nitrogen,etc.But now I have asked her to give the names of poatssium want, magnesium what,etc..so when she tell me then I hope it should be okay..
Kind Regards
Satu11
Satu11

Post by Satu11 »

And yes teacher is doing YR 11 Bio (EEI ) Plant and Nutrition
Kind Regards
Satu11
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Better yet you should ask for a copy of the prac and the teachers notes that go with it. Somewhere there you should have all the reference notes that include making up the required solutions. However if it is a Plant and Nutrition unit you may have to source the nutrients from Bunnings in the gardening section. It is highly likely that that is what the teacher is after and those packages always come with instructions for making up solutions. Best of luck.
Lyn.
P.S. My first reaction on reading your reply was to laugh. Some teachers must think we are mind readers.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Sometimes I wonder if I should act as stupid as they believe I am. This is a case in point.
Why not just give the teacher the jar of potassium, the tin/ribbon/granules/powder of magnesium, etc........
The look on a teacher's face after this would surely be priceless!!!!
My common saying to staff is, "I can be as smart or as stupid as you wish. It is your choice!"

Maree