Not Happy MAX

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Not Happy MAX

Post by Jazz »

Anybody Else Fed-up with Poor quality:mad: :w00t: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: of products coming out of Serrata, retort calmp and boss head can not last more then ONE lesson they are braking like they are made out of plastics. I complained to Max he said, send it back it will be replaced (that was 4 weeks ago) nothing happened :crazy: .
Ordered two Hoffmans, one broken another has faulty electrodes, test tubes can not withstand the heat, breaking easily in dishwasher.
Where do you order, what experience do you have?
HAVE WONDERFUL AND HAPPY EASTER
Cheers Jazz
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Re: Not Happy MAX

Post by estelle »

I ordered metal test tube holders and they all rusted in the drawer I hadn't even used them. They did replace them though.
I Have the same problem with the bossheads and clamps I think they are being made cheap overseas but still being sold for the same price. If price reflected quality I wouln't care so much
Estelle
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I had the same problem with some wood test tube racks I'd ordered from Livingstone. The top was paper thin and supported by four posts which were badly nailed together. They just collapsed sideways. I hadn't checked their catalogue, just re-ordered from previous invoice after checking the price with them. They look completely different to the old ones and are garbage. :mad:
I sent them back for a refund.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

So i will be keeping the ones i found 'in the ark' for a bit longer, nothing much breaks them...
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Yeah I got a bunch of beakers about a month ago think I ordered about 4 dozen. Have lost about two dozen they crack when heated and the lips keep chipping leaving sharp edges and so I have to toss em. picture in the catalouge showed SCHOTT DURAN brand what I got was BOMEX and it's S%#T. This didn't come from serrat though came from somewhere else not sure I i can say.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

if the lipsof the beakers chip, leaving sharp edges, you can 'melt' the sharp edges down by holding them over the bunsen...gives them a bit longer life...
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

well I did think of that but pyrex doesnt melt does it? becasue it's high hest resistant. I may be wrong
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I bought new tripods, and when the kids used them as normal the smell that came off was so acrid, :yuck: and the paint bubbled and peeled off, the supplier SSA, said their manufacture always paints them, but I can have a stronger paint :? . I have tried to burn it all off them but I cant it just keeps bubbling, they will replace them but with the same type of tripod, so we would have to go through it all again :-?
cheers
Lisa
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I will never buy form MAX again
Last year he was going to take me to court because I did not invite thim to the Science Conference>
Plus he seems to think that his stuff is the best (most of it is made in China)
Think before you buy Labbies
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

I have had similar issues with Max and serrata and avoid there like the plague. Having said that I have needed to purchase capstan blocks and he was the only place that I could source from, so heres hoping they will be ok.
He is quite proud of his factory in China, but the products are very dissapointing.
Enjoy your easter brake everyone
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi
I have been very careful the last couple of years with what I get from Serrata. I branched out to Westlab mainly because all their chemicals were Chemsupply (good price) and the MSDS are on line. I had some trouble with them too, on non catalogue items they quoted part numbers and prices and then wrongly delivered (one item went back 3 times :redcard: ). Fortunately I documented everything (including phone calls) and finally complained higher up. Got everything sorted and they are good now. They also have Schott Duran glassware at the same price as their other glassware. We were having beakers crack on the bottom and/ or bottoms fall off 8O so we decided to get the better glassware this year. All the other glassware seems to be getting thinner each year! It takes so much time to source stuff from different companies though - you wish they weren't so stingy with their quality. :mad:
Regards
Sue G
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

We have also had problems with faulty goods.
I ordered some new light boxes and when we got them not one of them was put together properly so they didn't work.
Serrata did fix them but they were gone for weeks being repaired.
We are still waiting for microscope slides ordered months ago.
I have spoken to them about broken glassware but they blame the delivery company.
Not good.
Helen
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Sue
how are westlab with delivery time and freight costs etc, I am getting fed up with waiting 2 months for orders to arrive, I thought I may give them a try. Had a look at their catalogue, their prices are competitive

thanks
Lisa
dime

Post by dime »

I gave up on Serrata years ago as they would split the order and charge for freight when they were the ones who didn't have the advertised stock. Also they were too slow. I still use them if I HAVE to, but use others in preference.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Most of the DET schools as of term 2 will have no choice, but can only use MAX Q-stores. They are trying to see if we can order hearts, Kidneys, distilled water. I spent a hour searching for a spray n Wipe. Oh boy life was easier when we could go out to shop. I do not like this ordering on line game. :mad: :hitthefan: :hitthefan: :cry2:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Labbie
You can still buy from others all you have to do is put on the order that you can't get the right equipment for the normal supplier I have done this for years .
I don't think Max is so smart :redcard:
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Yes I have had exactly the same problem with all Serrata products in the last two years - I have stopped buying from Serrata because the quality is so variable. If you phone Max your are lucky to get off the phone within 20 minutes.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

SGG wrote:Hi
.... so we decided to get the better glassware this year. All the other glassware seems to be getting thinner each year! It takes so much time to source stuff from different companies though - you wish they weren't so stingy with their quality. :mad:
Regards
Sue G
Sue,
Where do you get the "better glassware"? I will probably be needing to buy some glassware soon, and the idea of beakers that have bottoms that come off, or even beakers that can be melted in a bunsen flame sends shivers through my OH&S sensors!
Ian :yuck:
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi everyone, I hope those who had hols had nice ones. :D
Sorry Lisa and Ian, only got back today (don't have access from home).
Lisa, Westlab have been reasonably good with their delivery - depends whether they have it in stock. Best to ring and check specific goods.
Ian, I bought some Schott Duran glassware this year from Westlab (approx same price as their other glassware). You have to ask specifically for the Schott Duran and it was a different item number I think :unsure: .(this is Monday after the hols) They delivered the smaller beakers (250ml) with the rest of the order but I had to wait a couple weeks for the 1 litres to come from Germany. Feels much better than the tinner stuff and comes with a guarantee. :-o
Hope this helps
Regards
Sue G
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I don't think i've had any problems with serrata that weren't resolved easily... I have always found them friendly and helpful on the phone if something isn't right. Maybe I just haven't ordered the same things you guys all have? Interesting...