Insect spray in schools

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park
State/Location: NSW

Insect spray in schools

Post by lainyv »

Can anyone out there (is anyone out there) help me. I am in charge of the chemical storage at our school. All is going well but the other day I was asked a question by an office member that I am hoping someone can answer. Does your school spray routinely for pests and if so do they do it ion school hours or at the weekend. I'm talking about groundsmen spraying outdoors. I think it should be done when no kids are around to give time for it to dry before coming into contact with the children but the big boss says it is OK to do during school hours. Does anyone have a say???? thanks for any help :coffee:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Insect spray in schools

Post by macca »

Hi, I only do science these days don't get payed enough to do the whole school, but when I did, made sure it was done on the weekends or school holidays. Even AG chemicals eg., Round-up they a suposed to display signage, that it has taken place. Hope this helps.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I am not sure if there is a rule that states that spraying MUST be done on weekends or holidays, but when I was on the grounds/Maintenance team a few years ago, we would not use ANY chemicals during school hours. Even if the manufacturer claims that their stuff is "safe" we were not prepared to risk an anaphylactic reaction from even ONE kid in a school of 800. "Safe" around kids might just mean "As safe as Peanuts"!!

Using pesticides etc on weekends and holidays rather than in school hours is just common sense!

regards
Ian
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Our school got done professionally over the summer holidays and staff weren't allowed in their area on the day it was sprayed, and recommended to stay away longer. I can't imagine it would be a good thing to do during class time. I think it took about a week to do the whole school.
bindi

Post by bindi »

Sorry if this comes up twice

Pest control should only be done out of school hours, due to people who have chemical sensitivity and lung problems. Vapours & dusts can be airborn on windy days.

:thumbup:
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

I forgot to take something home one afternoon after school. When I came back at about 4.30 to grab it, luckily I saw the pest control man spraying liquid stuff all over the entrance door to the prep room. It ran all down the door, was all over the door handle and all over the place!! :yuck: :yuck:
If I had arrived a couple minutes later I would not have seen it and would have put my hand straight into this whatever it was!! :redcard: :redcard:
It would have been nice to be told this was happening, but kept in the dark as usual. :-({|= :-({|=
J
bindi

Post by bindi »

Check this site out

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/pesti ... cation.htm

Look in: Notification of pesticide use in sensitive places

Schools is no 1 on the list.

hope that helps the cause 8-)

Vic schools are the similar.
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

our pest control for all crepy crawlys is done each holidays,the end of each term
Far too dangerous to student with allergies and not to mention staff