What do you use to make up large vol of solution.

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Satu11
State/Location: QLD

What do you use to make up large vol of solution.

Post by Satu11 »

Hi could anyone please help me with this...
I need to make up 10 L of iodine solution.The largest bottle I have of 2.5lit and the teacher want me to make up the all solution together so that all students get the same solution.Do you think it will be okay if I use plastic buckets for iodine solution.

Thanx.
Kind Regards
Satu11
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: What do you use to make up large vol of solution.

Post by MariaC »

:oops: Sorry but what on earth do they want with 10L of iodine solution, are you disinfecting a hospital???

MariaC
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

What are they doing with 10 l of iodine. :w00t:

The amount staggers me. All we ever use are a few mls at a time. I make up 1 litre about 3 times a year for 1100 students.

I suppose a bucket, or if you have a jerry can or something that is protected from light.

Wendy
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I might make the iodine up and put it in a bucket so that the concentrations all end up the same,but I would not keep it there. Imagine the smell!!!!
A gerry can is a great idea. I know I have made up 10L of Polyvinyl and kept it in 2 5 Litre plastic containers from Bunnings. Fantastic! I did not have to make it up again for the rest of the year.
Why so much?????????
Maree
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

They can't possibly mean 10L of Iodine!! What on earth could they use all that for? Especially when anything other than a few drops is supposed to be used in a fume cupboard... I can't think of any pracs that would require more than a few drops at a time. If I were you I would be questioning if this is what they REALLY want or have they just had a bad day and told you the wrong thing. Double checking sure beats making up the wrong amount or the wrong substance!! I would be interested to hear what they want it for...
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Satu11

can you please let us know what that much of iodine is being used for?

SOOO curious now. Have never been asked to make up that much before in my life.
Maybe to disinfect a pig farm after an outbreak of foot-in-mouth disease? :w00t:

Anyway, to answer your question. Large amounts.
I use a 4 L volumetric flask ( or a few smaller flasks if you dont have a big hunker like me!). I make up batches, Then I pour them into several clean plastic laundry buckets, & homogenise them, by pouring back & forth until thouroughly mixed. Then decant into reagent bottles. That way, they are all the same conc.
Satu11

Post by Satu11 »

Hey Thanx for the all the post and concern...

I have to make 10L of iodine solution cos' our year 12 chemistry classess of 20 students are doing Vitamin C and sulfur dioxide analysis.For this they need to do titration and there are 10 groups.So the teacher wants 1L of iodine solution for each group. Hope this all makes it clear...
Kind Regards
Satu11
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

Iodine Solution - from Chemwatch

Risk Statements:
May cause SENSITISATION by inhalation and skin contact.
Harmful to aquatic organisms.
Cumulative effects may result following exposure*.
* (limited evidence).

Safety Statements:
Do not breathe gas/fumes/vapour/spray.
Wear suitable protective clothing.
To clean the floor and all objects contaminated by this material use water.
Keep away from food drink and animal feeding stuffs.

Is there not another less risky prac to do? According to CSIS that we use here in NSW it is toxic by all routes of exposure.
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

A burette only holds 5o mls, and most titrations are done using 25 ml amounts so that would give them enough Iodine for 40 runs, the usualy is only about 5 or under.

I think the teacher may have overcalculated the amount needed for each group.

We give 250 mls on the solution to be titrated to each of our students in their assessment task. ( most often HCl)

I'm just concerned about you trying to make and disolve that much Iodine and then most likely having so much left to dispose of.

Wendy
Satu11

Post by Satu11 »

Thanx once again..
I discussed it with the teacher and teacher said that students will be doing upto 16 titration so if they use 25-30mls each tme and that makes around 500ml each group.Plus teacher wants the some extra for rinsing the burette and plus if something goes wrong.Anyways I talked her into making 8L and I have made up that....
Kind Regards
Satu11
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

You can buy 20l plastic containers from Bunnings or reject shops.. or buy 20L of water from woolies, empty the water out and use the container - it wont last long because the iodine will start disintegrating it - but will be useful short term...
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

Hi Satu11

I know it's now quite some time ago, but I have wondered if the teacher used all the 8 litres of iodine solution that you made up for her for the Vitamin C titrations.

Wendy
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

When I mix up Iodine I put some in ethanol and shake until I have saturated solution then dilute with water but could never give an accurate molarity.
For a titration you are relying on accurate concentration