VERNIER Data Logger supplier

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

VERNIER Data Logger supplier

Post by Lis »

Hi,

We have the Vernier Lab Quest data loggers, and I was wondering if anyone else has them, and who you buy from, I have noticed there are a few suppliers on the internet, and we have been LED to believe that Scientrific are the only authorised distributors in Aust, & we havent bought from them in quite a while. I feel like there is a bit of a scare thing happening with talk of 'unauthorised' distributors (who tell me this is not the case), and Vernier Int. and Scientrific have sent us into a spin talking about pirated software, and countefit/ poor quality data loggers, paying for site licences and passwords to get the updates. When we bought the data loggers that includes a site licence, and no mention of passwords. I dont believe I have ever been sold less than the real thing and have had no problems with them. Has anyone else heard about this or know what is the actual situation.
We are confused and concerned as we are getting conflicting information from the suppliers of these data loggers, so any information would help.

Thanks
Lisa
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Re: VERNIER Data Logger supplier

Post by matchstick »

we bought ours from scientriffic about 4 years ago and if we have had problems with them I have called scientrifficf for repairs and anything else to do with em.
They have always been very helpful to me
Matchstick
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

John Cadogen from Scientrific is a workshop presenter on the Vernier dataloggers, at a lot of conferences and PD sessions.
I know he is a distributor for them and I have also met the head guy from USA.
There are so many dataloggers available and other suppliers' scare tactics.
I believe that " you get what you pay for" so even if it is a little more expensive with Scientrific...its worth it knowing that John will back everything he sells.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Margaret, I agree with you get what you pay for, only this isnt the case, we are paying MORE with another supplier, & I dont really want to buy from scientrific. I have had no problems & when I needed to send a few D/Loggers back for repairs to the company, I buy from they were repaired under warranty, which Scientrific told me, if they arent bought through an authorised distributor (them), Vernier wont necessarly honour. I feel a little like we are being railroaded into buying from them only. Scientrific are also insisting we tell them who we buy from and what gear we have. I am sure we havent been diddled or have bought inferior/ pirated loggers and gear. But I am hearing Scientrific say we can only buy from them and our supplier is telling us this isnt true and they buy from an authorised importer. I am so confused, but I will keep trying to get to the bottom of it.
Cheers
Lisa
labgirl
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Burdekin Catholic High School
Suburb: Ayr
State/Location: QLD

Post by labgirl »

Scientrific has also tried this scare tactic with us. We purchased our Vernier with another company and have had no trouble at all. When one of the probes we purchased was faulty, they replaced it no questions asked. Any questions that our supplier couldn't answer were quickly answered via the excellent Vernier website techs. We still receive the Vernier newletter with all the links to all the software updates as they happen. I think Scientrific is having a lend of us trying to corner the market.
Labgirl
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I have other issues with the guy from scientrific. We bought a pH meter from them (not for a data logger, just a normal pH meter). When it came it didn't work, so I rang him and sent it back. Next thing he rings me to say that I had returned a dodgy old one to him to be replaced, rather than the new one. It took quite a few phonecalls backwards and forwards to this guy, he wouldn't even speak to me, had to be the HT, till he finally relented and replaced it. I figured it may well have been a dodgy old one that he sold us in the first place. Not impressed!!
J