Light Corn Syrup

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
hshs
State/Location: WA

Light Corn Syrup

Post by hshs »

We have a prac which requires 'Light Corn Syrup'. We made up a recipe using water, sugar and cream of tartar but it went solid on us. Does anyone have any tips on making this and keeping it at a syrupy state? thanks [-o<
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Re: Light Corn Syrup

Post by bindibadgi »

Try this recipe.....

Light Corn Syrup Substitute
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.

Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months.

Makes almost 2 cups.

Cheers,
bindibadgi
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieM »

bindibadgi, you must have done the same search I just did :)

hshs: Perhaps you cooked it too long, turning the sugar into more of a toffee? After a little search on the internet (your question sparked my interest) it seems glucose syrup is fairly similar.

"What can be used if corn syrup isn't available where I live?

Glucose is what most professionals use and can be substituted 1 for 1. It can come from different sources, including corn or wheat. You can look for it online or visit a professional baking supply store in your area."

From the website: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2 ... use_c.html
hshs
State/Location: WA

Post by hshs »

We used that recipe but were not successful. Is there a trick to know when it is ready?
Ev
State/Location: VIC

Post by Ev »

You can buy light corn syrup and corn syrup at the supermarket. I have purchased it from IGA in the past.

Ev
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Dunno where you are in WA, but do what I do. When you can't find something in the boondocks, ask someone from Perth (in your case) to find it and send it to you. Won't help at short notice, but otherwise can be OK.
Cheers, K 8-)
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I cannot buy Light Corn Syrup at supermarkets in Melbourne but I can it at a decent Health Food Store.
Good Luck
Maree