for anything else that doesn't fit.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: New Prep Rooms

Post by fibreweb »

Hi Kimmy,

I had the GA put wheels on my white tray rack. When I have a tray ready for the teacher I put it onto the rack with a name tag, if the equipment is still required for another lesson, they replace the tray back in position on the rack with a "please leave" sign. If the tray is finished with, they are to put it onto the centre bench with a "finished" sign.

So far it is working OK

Wendy
Phoenix
Job Title: Scientific Operations Officer
School: Roma State College
State/Location: QLD

Post by Phoenix »

Hi Everyone,

Our senior campus labs are recieving an entire overhaul this semester and I've got just under two weeks to clear them out. The school is going to hire a shipping container or two for me to store a majority of my equipment in, and although its raining today summer up here is still hitting near 40 degrees and I have some items I don't want in a hot container, Like all my specimens in ethanol and metho etc.

What are everyones thoughts on what I should or should not store in the containers? Would the specimens be safe? Any ideas / thoughts appreceiated, I REALLY don't want to kill any equipment in storage! 8O
All my Chemicals are deing stored in proper chem storage at our Middle campus.
Cheers

Kelli :grin:
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

I put a Max-min thermometer into our shipping container just for interest and it went off the scale at 54 degrees.
The retort stands that were in it were too hot to handle when we went in to get them, outside that day it was only about 32 :w00t:

I kept out the senoir microscopes, some junior ones and all the stuff like the CRO just to be on the safe side.

We got back into our next 4 refurbished labs last wednesday and I have now finished unpacking the shipping container.
I said I wouldn't do any pracs until it was emptied so had the help of 3 senior classes last week to unpack. I would hand them an item and tell them which prep room it needed to go back to and where abouts to put it. For the most part thing were put into their correct places.
Most of the gear is now back in the labs and I have the labelling to do so teachers and kids know where things are now kept.

The new labs look great, even the prep rooms that wern't renovated look a lot better as I had thrown out so much junk in the clean up beforehand.
For those that are in the throws of packing up and cleaning out it is well worth it in the end.

Wendy
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi folks,
Long time no chat.
Today was to be the handover day -hmmmm.
Well there are lots of tradesmen and lots of dust and they promised me a little look but.....
I think they have just started fixing the plaster board to the walls - still lots of exposed cabling and holes in the ceiling etc. No furniture in sight - a problem with the furniture company apparently.
I am 'camping' out the back of the science staffroom. Can't believe I read some posts that teachers weren't doing any pracs while the prep room was out! Gosh that would be nice. I trudge up to the Chemstore with my dolphin torch and a tote tray (tradies cut the power on 17 Dec and its still not back on). I climb up ladders in the dim light of the torch trying to track things down. For washing up I have a little plastic tub that I carry into a lab and do a 'camp wash up' at the side bench.
The teachers have been great but the whole thing is wearing a bit thin. Nowhere to put pracs etc etc.
I'm hoping I get a little look today - I have asked the tradesmen nicely - and maybe take a photo or two.
Wish me luck folks. Hope you are feeling better Liz. Classic story about relief, Dime. I have one or two of my own I should tell you.

Cheers,
Patti
The Search Engine
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

dear search engine....
this has serious OH&S issues sweety....no electricity! :redcard: :redcard: ...using a torch to find chemicals! :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: ...using a plastic tub to wash up!
sorry but I see DANGER..DANGER..DANGER written all over this.
Your head of science should be pulled over the coals for making you do this.HE/SHE IS WELL AWARE OF THE CONSIQUENCES.
I would profusely refuse to do any pracs under those conditions...and I would be talking to the Principal
YOU HAVE TO LOOK OUT FOR YOUR OWN SAFTEY
mATCHSTICK
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Where is your Union. Call WorkSafe!
This is ridiculous Search Engine. At least you should put your own safety first. I am a 60 years old woman. Would you expect me to do this? Of course not! Therefore, DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF.
Maree
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I agree, and 60years young maree. Speak to your union rep., and ask your HT to retreive the chemicals. :redcard: :redcard:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

GO To The BOSS this is no good and if he does nothing Go Higher :redcard: :redcard:
OH&S Girl OH&S
No one should have top put up with that it is not SAFE :redcard: :redcard:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Patti, thanks for your thoughts. Will return to work on Tuesday, after 2 weeks off. Thankfully I was replaced (albeit by 4 others, but luckily all experienced), so much better off than Dime - btw, Darelle, even if you can't change what your HT wants to do this time, at the very least do a 'before & after' approach with your SAM, so that the situation can be documented for later discussion with the HT & SAM. If your replacement is on-side, ask them to document their experiences with HT. Can't help but build your case. My experience with the Dep has been that casuals are more than willing to do the job, even though untrained, because they need the work, and don't know any better - that's how I ended up in Science! Full-timers would be wise to approach the Union to check their rights, but unless the person is strong enough to resist, in the end it will depend on the Principal, and Admin Manager.

Back to you, Patti. I had to wear a hard hat to access my chemstore during the refurb, but the power was still available to that side of the building, though there were times when I requested someone go with me when I considered the OH&S situation was unsafe, and I always left the Chemstore door propped open so it was obvious I was in there. I agree with the others that you should discuss this situation with your Principal, SAM & HT. Perhaps you could suggest that your HT/CSO to either collect what's needed, or to accompany you to Chemstore. While you're at it, get them so organised that someone only has to go in there once or twice a week (with company). Good luck with it, and please take care.

Liz
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan

Post by chemical »

Well our new prep room is as they say bright and not airy.
I only have two small windows to open and the fan to curculate the breeze
But on the topic of what to put in the compactors. I put all the equipment in container
2 stackers and they fit wonderful. I also keep Biology, chemistry and argiculture stuff on there own
shelfs. At the end I store all the light boxes light accessories, volt meters etc Its harder to train the teacher
as they are set in their ways.
I dont store any chemical in the prep room and make a note of storing all chemical in the other 2 prep room in the flammable cupboard, etc.
Well good luck with moving your stuff and you will move things heaps before you are happy with them.
Lindy
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all of your concerned responses.
Felt like I should let you know I am still alive and have all my limbs and faculties! :D

I have finally had a moment today to sit down and go through some of the handouts and notes from St Mary's in November.
What a treat to read through!

And good news is that SDD for next term is Chemical Safety :clap3:

Great to hear your refurbs are going well.

Cheers,

Patti
The Search Engine
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our GA is very interested in learning how some of your GA's put wheels on your new racks. Some will have white ones some red. As their is no centre pole, he is unsure how your ga's have done it. Can you please ask them. :w00t:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

with my tray trolley the GA took the rubber stoppers out and popped the new wheels,from bunnings,in........
We have a very good GA here.Peter has repaired lots of my equipment and drilled holes into bungs made me shelving
he's aaaammmaaaazziiing....pitty he's like 105 years old
fibreweb

Post by fibreweb »

My GA made a base for the tray trolley.
Imagine a wide H shape. That is a piece of wood under each of the two side legs with a bracing piece across the middle.
he then fixed castors onto the bottom of the side bits virtually under the legs so it can move in all directions.

Wendy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Our GA got some runners from Bunnings and put them in - Just make sure you get ones that will hold the weight in the trolley as this can cause problems.

KIMMY :thumbup:
lesnsw

Post by lesnsw »

We have just had our prep room and 2 labs refurbed (finished last term) and I'm still waiting on proper shelving for the chem store. They have put in very flimsy coated shelving units with movable shelves. Is this normal? It doesn't seem secure enough to me. What have other schools been issued with? :-(
Lesley
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We never got a chem store with our refurb, our chem store is another room walk in cupboard, a few doors from the main prep room. Or perhaps you mean the compactus?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
dime

Post by dime »

My chem store was rebuilt (separate storeroom to the preproom) with melamine coated shelves. They are solid and not moveable or adjustable. When they were rebuilding it I jumped up and down - well had some input - because they were only going to give me shelves along one wall. As I had a lot of equipment that had come out of that room I asked for and got shelving right around the room and centre shelving similar to what was there originally.