Risk Assessments

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
joness
State/Location: NSW

Risk Assessments

Post by joness »

Hi Everyone,

I often read of other Lab Assistants having to do a Risk Assessment for each prac lesson. I recently read that the Risk Assessment is only required in Private Schools not Public. Can anyone confirm this for me, I currently do not do any, but I was waiting till the St Mary's Conference to ask about them? Should I be doing them? I have never heard my head teacher speak of them. I work in a public high school.

Susie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Risk Assessments

Post by Labbie »

Read your CSIS, Chemical Safety in Schools, books, it does tell you that.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Hi, I had this dispute with RA's earlier on in the year, as the teachers wanted unrestricted access to the chemical room. I rang workcover and even though the public schools have CSIS, The lady I spoke to said that CSIS was a generic RA on the chemicals and their disposal, But, It is not a RA on the practical lesson or how the chemical is being used.
Workcover has stated that it is not in legislation that you have to complete a RA for practical lessons, but if an accident was to occur Workcover would investigate as to why a RA was not done.Or if the teacher considered the risk before the start of the prac.( Confirmed this by phone on the 2/7/09 to the workcover hotline.)
so I hope this info helps.
:thumbup: Trish
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Risk Assessments

Post by ellice »

Hi all,
I hate to mention the "R" word so early in the year, but my HOD handed me a flyer on Risk Assess Release 2 by Phillip Crisp (software for Risk Assessments in Schools), and has asked for an opinion. Is anyone familiar with this system?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Regards, Ellice.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

If you are a state school the CSIS Package has done a RA for you ONLY if a teacher wants to use a CHEMICAL that is for year 11 or 12 and needs it for Year 10 then the teacher must do a RA and the HT has to sign and aprove it then and only then they can use the CHEMICAL.
For us this is the ONLY time a RA is used.
Again read CSIS and it is in Black & White. This is what state schools use .
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Ellice,
We are looking at getting this too, as it works as a prac request system as well as a Risk Assessment provider. I also like the way (from reading the info) it tells you what will come back from the classes! Eg if they are mixing something it provides RA on the product too. Our teachers don't seem to be very safety-conscious at times so I am hoping this will help them. The info I read also says that in the future there will be an upgrade which will then provide disposal info as well which would be good (saves looking it up each time). Sorry I can't give you a user's opinion. These are just my thoughts after reading the info. Being a private school we don't have to stick to CSIS although that is what we have been doing voluntarily anyway. In my opinion it is not much money for the convenience of RA at your fingertips and making teachers actually think about the potential consequences of their pracs each time.
Rosalie
scritch
State/Location: VIC

Post by scritch »

We use the program here and have been quite happy :D with it. There are a couple of issues such as you have various chemicals that are "restricted" in NSW that aren't in Vic and vice versa. There are also some items of equipment that aren't "on the list" :cry2: but they are updating all the time. If I were you, I would contact Risk Assess and ask for a free trial :clap3: . We did and played around with it for two weeks and then decided it was a very worthwile exercise and subscribed to it.
Good Luck!

Shane 8-)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

noona wrote:If you are a state school the CSIS Package has done a RA for you ONLY if a teacher wants to use a CHEMICAL that is for year 11 or 12 and needs it for Year 10 then the teacher must do a RA and the HT has to sign and aprove it then and only then they can use the CHEMICAL.
For us this is the ONLY time a RA is used.
Again read CSIS and it is in Black & White. This is what state schools use .

Perhaps this will help in the mean time, perhaps some one can even find the page number.

Thank you Noona
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I do have it in writting from Dr Richard Morante. But I can not attach it as a file. I need lessson's in this stuff. So if you would like a copy,I can forward emails on. I will need your email address.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Hi Sue

I think the last statement in the section above is what you are referring to. You are of course correct, you don’t have to perform a RA if you qre following the DETRA protocols. Appendix D of CSIS gives you the flowchart for chemicals.

Dr Richard Morante
Senior Curriculum Adviser Science 7-12
Curriculum K12 Directorate
98867154 (f)

Sent: Thursday, 11 February 2010 1:50 PM
To: Morante, Richard
Subject: Risk Assessments??

Hi RIc,

Could you please let me know where in the CSIS package, does it tell us. "If you are a state school the CSIS package has done a RA for you. Only if a teacher wants to use a chemical that is for year 11 or year 12, and wishes to use it for yr 10. Then the teacher must do a RA." I can remember from my training by Alan Smith way way back, but to help the younger one coming through. I can not find the page. Do hope you can help me??

Regards
Mrs Sue Rowley
School Admin Officer
Science
Bonnyrigg High School
Elizabeth Drive
Bonnyrigg NSW 2177
Phone 9823 1184 - 1186
fax 9823 7662
Sent: Friday, 12 February 2010 11:51 AM
To: Rowley, Sue
Subject: RE: Thank you,

Not at all. In fact I encourage you to do that.

Ric Morante
Senior Curriculum Adviser Science 7-12
Curriculum K 12 Directorate
3a Small Road Ryde NSW 2112
98867154 Fax

Sent: Friday, 12 February 2010 11:43 AM
To: Morante, Richard
Subject: Thank you,

Hi Ric, Thank you so much, for a very prompt answer. W-+ould you mind if I was to pass your email onto other labbies??

Thank you again.

Mrs Sue Rowley
School Admin Officer
Science
Bonnyrigg High School
Elizabeth Drive
Bonnyrigg NSW 2177
Phone 9823 1184 - 1186
fax 9823 7662
image001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I am trying to prepare risk assessments for the prep room for things that I do. Can any one give me an idea of some of the duties they have done RA's for so I can try and cover everything?

Thanks Heaps

Lorrae
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Think they were called S O P Standard Operations Performs or some thing like that.
Regards Labbie

Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Lorrae

making up solutions, agar plate and destroying them, glass bending & cutting, fixing stuff, boring cork, I cant think of anything else just now, but I am sure others can add to it

Hope this has helped, cheers
Lisa
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Risk Assessment

Post by CC »

Hello Everyone,

I need to vent so I apologise in advance.

I need to know where I can find Department paperwork that says we need to do risk assessments in government schools because this lot I work with all think I'm mad and don't know what I'm talking about.

I brought back information from the Chemical Safety Course but that was not DET letterhead therefore it did not apply to them.

WHY DO THEY SEND ME ON THESE COURSES IF THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED!

I am beating myself up over this! Is it my responsibility? Someone please help.

CC
lizzieb

Re: Risk Assessment

Post by lizzieb »

Cindy,

My understanding is that as long as DEC experiments are within the guidelines of the CSIS package, we currently do not have to have separate risk assessments.

I would like to hear what others say, though, as this is an area needing constant clarification, especially since, through chemtalk, we are more aware of the Workcover requirements for private schools.

The new national workplace saftely legislation being implemented in January 2012, may lead to a new edition of CSIS. Perhaps we'll see changes to the DEC system then. Fingers crossed!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

If you need a copy of the Dr Richard Morante letter, I can fax it to you, I just need your fax number.
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Have just re-read this thread, and realised Labbie has already answered.

Because we are a boarding school, our OHS committee has decided to deveolpe Safe Operating Procedures for equipment/chemicals used in the various faculties/areas of the site ie. TAS, GA, farm (dairy, piggery etc).
As far as I know, they have agreed that the CSIS package covers Science for now.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I was hopping to merge this post with, Risk assesments software, sorry folks,
Regards Labbie

nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Is CSIS a NSW only thing as I have never heard of it?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Yes, it is NSW only. It is the guidelines written for public schools to follow, and private schools can choose to follow (I don't know of any who don't).