pop tests using calcium metal

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

pop tests using calcium metal

Post by Rowyrow »

HIeveryone,
just a query, I had a teach request a prac this morning for after recess (go figure) for pop test using calcium granuals. He is doin it with year sevens, is it appropriate to be giving calcium metal and matches to year sevens. Just wondering , anyway let me know. It's just now this particular teacher know how to order pracs he seems to have gotten prac happy and im afraid he's not really thinking about the vaule of the pracs he's doing.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: pop tests using calcium metal

Post by RosalieM »

I have never heard of this prac... I can't even think how it would work.
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Hi Rowyrow,
As calcium metal is classed as hazardous and dangerous goods class 4.3, I'd be reluctant to supply to any students, and quite frankly, many teachers too! But saying that, a piece of calcium in water (which is very slow to react even with heating) may be less hazardous than a piece of magnesium in 1M hydrochloric acid. The latter will produce results much faster. I think too many experiments have been "made difficult' with the rampant OH&S and students miss out on some great 'hands-on' activities. I believe it all comes down to the teacher's knowledge of what is happening and the potential hazards, plus classroom control and ensuring that all students wear appropriate safety gear.
Cheers,
Fran
Last edited by franco on 14 Sep 2009, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

CSIS state's it is safe to use for 7-12 years. Yes it is a class 4.3.

Matches & Calcium Metal, makes one wonder.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks,
I can hear POP's and giggles as I type so im guessing it all turned out ok. I guess I was more bothered by the lack of knowtice than anything becasue i didn't have time to double check all the RA's and stuff.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I did write a follow-up reply to my previous post after looking into it, but it doesn't seem to have appeared... and now it's not needed so I won't bother to re-type the info.