Food in labs

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
ri
State/Location: NSW

Food in labs

Post by ri »

Can I ask my colleagues what rules they have regarding food in labs - students snacking or food tasting experiments?? :coffee: :yuck: :unsure:
~Robyn
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Re: Food in labs

Post by trish armstrong »

For us its a big no, no! :redcard:
You don't know what chemical the class before used. and if they cleaned up properly or spilt any.
When it comes to sherbert, sometimes they take it to a home ec room, or if we have to have it in the labs we line a table with paper and cloth and I have a set of motar and pestles for sherbet only, we limit as best we can the area in the room the kids use just to make sure they don't touch anything with residue.
We have signs on the door that the kids see as they walk in, and one also hanging in the labs. My teachers are good in this area they are really strict on the kids if they see food or drinks.
Trish :popcorn: :cheesy:
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

We have a big NO policy too.
dime

Post by dime »

Whilst it is policy not to eat, the amount of food in the bench sinks and behind the heaters makes a mockery of this. I also do not encourage eating experiments. Sherbert is made in plastic zip lock bags. I did have a special set of beakers for choc fossils, but only a "special" teacher new of this. (Some I wouldn't trust). 8O
sammy
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

Hi all

We have a big NO policy on food in the labs also. Thankfully the teachers seem onto it and haven't had trouble YET :wink2:

Sammy
ri

Post by ri »

thanks for your comments - keep 'em coming.
Has anyone seen a reference to this specific problem in the CSIS manuals??
~Robyn
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We do a few "edible experiments" such as nuclear half-life M&Ms, scientific jellybeans (esters) and honeycomb.

For those experiments benches are lined with butchers paper, and we have sets of foil trays, disposable food containers, spoons marked "for people use only" etc. So we control it fairly carefully.

The nuclear half life M&Ms has been declared the best Chem experiment so far this term.
Cheers, K 8-)
labgirl
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Burdekin Catholic High School
Suburb: Ayr

Post by labgirl »

What's the half life M&M experiment?
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

And the scientific jelly beans??

We're doing edible rocks on Wednesday, but we've organised to do it in the Food Tech room, so all clean and hygienic.

Would love some ideas about the m & ms and jelly beans, or anything else not previously discussed here.

Thanks

J
smiley

Post by smiley »

OK here goes.

Nuclear decay, or half-life, needs to be understood to be NOT a linear or graphable decay. Rather it can be a generalised trend downwards, with spikes and trough in the decay process.

To this end, here is the fun experiment:

Get those multiple packs of the Mini M&Ms - you know the snap-off share packs you get for birthday lolly bags etc.
Kids empty a pack onto a piece of A4, on their paper-covered desks.
Count the M&Ms.
Gently toss the M&Ms. This can be done by pouring them back into the little container and pouring them out again, or giving the A4 a bit of a flick - whatever.
Count and EAT all the ones with the "M" showing. They have "decayed" and are no longer radioactive. Record the number of M&Ms that are still "radioactive".
Repeat and eat!

Beechworth Lolly Shoppe sells JellyBelly Jellybeans in their individual flavours. SO we bought the flavours that one can usually make when making esters: Pineapple, Green Apple, Pear, Raspberry, Orange & Banana. Then we blindfold the girls and get them to taste the jellybeans & identify the flavours (no prior clues provided). Then we discuss esters, and make just a couple to demonstrate the process. Reduces costs and makes it "fun-ner". No credit to me, I got this idea from the WA Lab Techs site.
Cheers, K 8-)
labgirl
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Burdekin Catholic High School
Suburb: Ayr

Post by labgirl »

Thanks Kristen,
We will definately use the M&M's in the near future.
Megan
rozcoz

Post by rozcoz »

Still finding my way around this site......Smiley....what's the Nuclear half - life experiment entail? :?
Hilly
State/Location: WA

Post by Hilly »

Hello just thought I would add to this discussion on food. We have been told definately NO food pracs in labs. No Sherbet No M&M decay etc. If the teachers are insistant on doing it then we have been told to send them down to Home Ec and do the prac there. We are really unable to assure the clean proceedures required to let the students eat food prepared in the lab. If they decide to eat their own food and stuff the wrappers behind the radiator, then we are not responsible for any accidents. I know it is hard, I used to love the food pracs, and the leftovers, but better safe than sorry
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Ros, Smiley explained that half life M&M experiment in her 2nd post... :thumbup:
andrea

Post by andrea »

:popcorn: :popcorn: Hi everyone, Here we do food experiments like chocolate fossils, sherbert making, making honeycomb,random popualtions with M & Ms; meitosis with ( edible ) snakes & population distribution with wrapper lollies & so far :crazy: :crazy: no fatalities.
I have all the particular equipment stored seperately away from other equipment & I am the only one that has access to it as I lock it away after washing it seperately etc. If I can use disposable spoons, cups etc I do , otherwise I am careful to seperate food experiment equipment from normal equipment. We make sure the benches are clean before doing any of the above experiments & where necessary provide disposable food gloves etc to prevent contamination etc. Have been fortunate so far & the students enjoy the edible experiments so I can't see them being banned at our school. ( Plus I get to munch on the goodies as I get them ready)
As for eating in the labs there is written instructions etc about not eating in labs at any time but like everyone everyday I find empty food packets in sinks, cupborards, on the floor .I have literally given up commenting on it as it tends to fall on deaf ears. Sadly students will find a way of munching in the labs regardless & I suspect it is when the teacher is preoccupied that it happens.Cheers.Andrea :grin: :grin:
leepy63

Post by leepy63 »

We also have a no food pracs policy.

Our kids do use food for experiments however we are lucky we have metal seats under an awning close to our Labs so the kids go out there to do any pracs that they may eat later. They love the chocolate crackles experiment (rocks).
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Morning All,

We very rarely do edible experiments. Only sherbet. However our 4 labs have tutor group in them every day for 20mins after lunch and the kids occasionally have parties . They have food on the teachers bench and sit on the work benches. This was going on long before I arrived at the school and I was horrified.

Lorrae
laurena grieger
State/Location: SA

Post by laurena grieger »

When we make sherbet in the school, or any other food source that students may eat, our policy is to thoroughly wipe over benches before the prac. I always purchase plastic cups, foam cups, plastic spoons etc and I have special measuring cups and measuring spoons when using food samples for consumption. All ingredients that we use, I freshly purchase, so that it has not been contaminated by any chemicals etc.
It can be an expensive exercise, however well worth it. :rolleyes:
laurena
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Our labs are also used by tutor groups and they often have breakfast in them, or parties.
As to pracs with food - I also use disposable cups and spoons and fresh ingredients.
We do a prac with seniors, using jelly babies and painting only one colour with 'ban suck' .. this again is done in as sterile a manner as I can manage ... but the actual pracs are the responsibility of the teachers involved - not MY responsibility.
When students do anything more than simple sherbet, the class is moved to a Food Tech room so that it is safe for students to eat the results
curie

Post by curie »

Hi all, I know this an old thread, but, still interested.

If it was up to me I would ban eating in labs . I brought it up to one of the OHS people, who is also one of the science teachers, quite a while ago. As by my copy of CSIS, there is no outright ban on eating in labs, ( I think it says.. hold on..."No eating drinking or preparation of food should occur in a preparation room or laboratory unless adequate precautions are taken to insure no contamination is possible" " Eating drinking chewing not permitted UNLESS PART OF THE EXPERIMENTAL WORK.If an activity involving eating drinking or chewing is carried out , stress special nature and ensure no contamination occurs."), I'm not sure I can dig my heels in that far. I try to ensure that new, disposable equiptment is used, though.

Thoughts?