removing stopcock from sep funnel

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
kate1
State/Location: NSW

removing stopcock from sep funnel

Post by kate1 »

Hi All,
Does anyone have any hints on removing a jammed glass stopcock from a separating funnel? The chemistry teacher here suggested putting the whole thing in oil, letting it soak, and then tapping the stopcock gently and repeatedly with a rubber mallet. But he said that it is a labourious process and the risk of breakage of the separating funnel is quite high. Does anyone have any other ideas:?:

Thanks
Kate

//EDITED by adam. Reason: make subject more descriptive.
Robb

Separatory Funnel

Post by Robb »

Hi Kate1,

You could support the funnel on both sides of the stopcock and gently tap it on the bench. The more time you spend doing this the more likely it is to be shocked out of the jammed position. If this doesn't work try pouring Boiling water over the stopcock and repeating the process to free it completely.

I hope this helps...

Robb.......
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi Kate
I often have luck by running very hot water over the stopcock for a few minutes, then pour a few drops of cooking oil around the wide rim edge having the stopcock sit upright to allow seapage Have patience and check after a couple of days
regards juliem
Robbie

Separating funnel

Post by Robbie »

The one way I have had success in unjamming blocked glassware like this is to soak it overnight or over the weekend in honey. Yes honey!!

My husband who grew up as a farmer's son in northern Europe - Latvia - told me that was the method they had used for generations in his family. If something on the farm jammed that was what they did. I laughed at first until I tried it. And then discovered it was very successful. I always receive skeptical looks when I suggest this...but try. Honey will get through a hole too small for water.

Best of luck,

Robbie
Narelle01

Re: removing stopcock from sep funnel

Post by Narelle01 »

mine aren't stuck, but didn't want to start a whole new thread....

How do you effectively wsh them??? Mine are gummed up with oil...tried soaking in very hot water and detergent for a few hours - dishwasher???
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: removing stopcock from sep funnel

Post by RosalieM »

Narelle01 wrote:mine aren't stuck, but didn't want to start a whole new thread....

How do you effectively wsh them??? Mine are gummed up with oil...tried soaking in very hot water and detergent for a few hours - dishwasher???
Mine go through the dishwasher. I take the stopcocks out and wash them in the cutlery section and put the narrow end of the funnel over a spike. I make sure they are far enough apart that they won't collide mid-cycle and break.
kmd

Re: Separating funnel

Post by kmd »

Robbie wrote:The one way I have had success in unjamming blocked glassware like this is to soak it overnight or over the weekend in honey. Yes honey!!

Robbie

Hi Robbie,
I remembered reading your comment about honey. Well, I came across the distillation equipment last week and noticed one of the plugs were stuck. I soaked it over the weekend, and what do you know? It came out. Thanks for the tip.