trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Labelling---Curious

Post by trish armstrong »

Hello labbys, :D
Was curious on what you include and what you take away on some of the labels that we put on our flasks and solutions.
For example, Some say ' may cause internal damage' or ' can cause birth defects'.
Do you leave these phrases on the labels or take them off. My thoughts were what reactions would the kids feel if they read that on the bottle.
OH&S Dangerous goods or hazardous substances policy states." All containers of Dangerous goods or Hazardous Substances must be appropriately labelled.....as a minimum the OH&S regulation specifies that the label clearly identifies the substance and provides health and safety information including revelent risk and safety phrases". (3.2.2) :oops:
Are these pieces of information to revelent,and scary, to kids. But we in a way are meant to supply health and safety information.
What do you all think? :?
Trish.
Whspa

Re: Labelling---Curious

Post by Whspa »

I put as much information as will fit on the label. I think anything that makes the students handle the chemicals with more care is appropriate.
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Your kids actually READ the label!!! Well done, you!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I would not take any thing off the labels. Chemwatch have put the information together, and we must use those labels. Do not think my teachers read the labels let alone the students.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I remember when I printed out the appropriate label for the hand wash that we buy in bulk. I was concerned that it would cause a riot when the kids read to 'avoid contact with skin' !! :crazy: :crazy: No joke.

To this date, however, (couple of years now), no one has even noticed. :unsure: :unsure:

J
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

the only thing I change on a label is the molarity.Most of the time chemwatch doesnt have the mol. that I need.
Joy
State/Location: TAS

Post by Joy »

The thing that concerns me about labels is the heading "Nonhazardous." Often a substance is classed as a dangerous good but nonhazardous so the label has the word nonhazardous as the main heading. I think its a bit misleading to the lay person.
Joy