risk assessment

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
m
State/Location: NSW

risk assessment

Post by m »

hi everyone

I am after a risk assessment template for experiments not just for a chemical.

When the risk assessments are complete for these experiments, how are people filing them? under; The main chemical used?, Name of experiment?, etc.

I have a very detailed risk assessment template for one chemical and one for excursions but am dumbfounded as to how to do one for many chemicals as in an experiment and even more dumbfounded as to how I'm going to file or catalogue these assessments.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks M
Robb

Risk Assessment Template

Post by Robb »

Hi M,

I have completed my Risk Assessments regarding Practical Lessons; I have made a template which, obviously I use Time and Time Again.

If you would like to have this, pass the schools fax number on and I can send this through to you. Have a look at it and if need-be change it to suit.

Hope this has been helpful,

Robb........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
m

risk assessment

Post by m »

Hi Robb

My school fax number is 02) 4271 2787

Looking forward to your fax and greatly appreciate your help

If your going to the conference at ST MARYS will thank you personally and will then be able to put a face to all the handy tips you pass on.
m

risk assessment

Post by m »

Sorry Robb

Wrong number. The fax number is 02)4271 6626
the previous number was the phone.
Robb

Risk Assessment for Experiments

Post by Robb »

Hi m,

I have sent the relevant documentation via fax and you should have these on the machine as we speak.

Let me know what you think!!

Cheers,

Robb.....
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

Robb

Risk Assessment for Experimentation

Post by Robb »

Hi m,

Could you let me know when you have received the faxed documentation? This way I can be rest assured that it has arrived safely.

Thanks,

Robb......
University of Newcastle.

ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Robb,
I, too, would like a copy of your RA template. I'm revising and updating ours and the more input the merrier! My Fax number is (02) 67711979.
Thanks,
Liz
Robb

Risk Assessment

Post by Robb »

Hi Elizabeth,

No problems at all. Peruse through it and let me know what you think.

I will send it off to you within the next few minutes.

Robb.......
University of Newcastle.

Robbie

Risk assessment

Post by Robbie »

Hi Robb,

Could I join the queue for a copy of your RA? Your input would be most appreciated!

Our school fax number is 9482 2524.

Robbie
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

A copy of your RA would be most appreciated, as are all your tips and ideas. Thank you, Robb.

Our fax number is 66572281

Julie
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Hi Robb and everyone else

Could you pleae explain what is required of us as far as RA's go. I have copied the Chemwatch RA's for every chemical, plus made up a few of my own for some items they didn't have. These are signed by the head teacher then put away where I doubt they are ever get looked at again. I have never made up any for individual experiments. Am I meant to be doing this? Are the RA's meant to go out with the experiments everytime? I'd appreciate a copy of your RA as well please Robb... School fax is (02) 42717245.

Thanks for your help

kathryn :lol:
m

risk assessment

Post by m »

Hi Robb and everyone

It seems I am not the only one interested in this topic.

Robb I have received your fax, thanks a heap.

I also have a copy of charles sturt uni assessment form plus a few others.
When I get time :lol: I will draw up my own for teachers to fill in and get a uniform name going for each experiment. I plan to laminate and give to each teacher as they order. They already have MSDS sheets in each of their classrooms. I hope this satisfys legal requirements but wonder how far we have to go to fill in these forms. If students use sheets of paper do we mention paper cuts?

thanks to all
maria
debbec

risk assessments

Post by debbec »

HI m
I file our risk assessments in a ring binder, one binder for each year group. In that binder I put dividers for each chapter of the text book and one for miscellaneous since most of our pracs come straight out of the text.The teachers look through this folder to get a risk assessment and attach it to their order. The risk assessment forms( still a work in progress) have a section to fill out with a text book reference to make filing easier.
We have a double sided form with an order form on the front and risk assessment on the back.
Robb I would like a copy of your form also to see if we can improve on ours. My fax no is 4577 4538.
m

risk assessment

Post by m »

Hi Debbie

Your system of filing is great
I would like to do something similar
although my teachers seem to pull their ideas for pracs from everywhere
will just have to retrain them, thats all

thanks for your idea
maria
Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I have sent the Faxes through to everyone whom has asked for the RA at this time, if there is anyone else I will try to continue a speedy response to keep up with the demand.

When you receive your copy via fax could you send me a Personal Message to confirm that all have been received?

Thanks,

Robb.....
University of Newcastle.

cheltie

Post by cheltie »

This seems to be a topic that gets everyone interested. I am a bit confused however. I attended a chemical safety course where they told us you should do a risk assessment for every prac. The teachers at my school thought this was a joke! I then attended a lab attendants network meeting where the Science co ordinator from the department assured us that it is not necessary to do a risk assessment for a prac if you are following the CSIS guidelines. So if you are using chemicals that are colour coded as OK for that year group you dont need a risk assessment.
Our Head Teacher also believes this to be the case.
Are you all doing risk assessments for every experiment you do and if so where does it say that you need to do this?
As you can see the information being given out seems to varyand I am not sure what to do.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Well, I have to say I'm a bit concerned.
My teachers seem to be doing their own RA's and doing God knows what with them.
We're having a faculty meeting this afternoon and I'll bring this topic up, but
we were under the impression that the information in Appendix D constituted the RA for chemicals used?
Please, Robb, I'll have any information you can offer.
Fax 0242264128
Carol :-(
Robb

Risk Assessment Answers

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Obviously this has been a topic that has been a long time coming I suspect.

Risk Assessments for Chemicals:

Although the DET Colour coding System has been in place now for many years it will only give the minimum Risk Assessment for that chemical.

The colour coding outlines minimum information because it is used without consideration on how the chemical substance is going to be used in the Laboratory or Experiment. eg in a fume cupboard, minimum quantities Personal Protective Clothing including gloves and what type of gloves need to be used.

Risk Assessments are mandatory for ALL Hazardous Chemicals, These are identified in the CSIS folder No.2 under Appendix D General Assessment Advise for Chemicals Used in Secondary Schools.

Just to clarify this, what needs to be done is that ONLY for those Chemical Substances Listed and Identified as Hazardous a Specific Risk Assessment needs to be completed on it.

This means that all aspects of using a Hazardous Substance must be outlined and to include safe work practices involving areas like:

* How is it going to be used
* Engineering Controls that may be in place including- The use of a Fume Cupboard, The use of the substance in a well ventilated area (if suitable instead of a fume cupboard)
*Gloves to be worn, eg Latex, PVC Nitrile, Thermal, Neoprene.

All is so that the Safety aspect/s of the Chemical are certainly met.

In the better interest in Health and Safety of all those exposed to the/a Chemical Substance I would personally have the information available to me for how the Chemical is to be used. Other information can be obtained for the relevant MSDS's

Risk assessments for Experiments:

Risk Assessments are required to be completed on Experiments, although this may seem a daunting task most of the experiments can list chemicals that allow for variations of one experiment. The only problem with this is that you just need to change the title of the Experiment and outline only those chemicals needed.

This will allow you to reduce the time for some Risk Assessments.

I hope this helps.

Robb.......
University of Newcastle.

cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thanks for that Robb. I am still wondering though where you found this information so I can show it to my head teacher as the staff here are all very sure that they don't have to do risk assessments as long they are sticking to what it says in the book.
Robb

Risk Assessment Anwers

Post by Robb »

Hi Cheltie,

It is good to hear form you,

It has been brought up at other schools where I have visited to help them fulfil the requirements for a successful audit and It is within this that you can be rest assured once completed that there will be a good clean result for the audit.

Hope this Helps Cheltie.

If the info is organised then there will be no cocerns.

Robb....
University of Newcastle.