for anything else that doesn't fit.
labgirl
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Burdekin Catholic High School
Suburb: Ayr
State/Location: QLD

Re: Dataloggers

Post by labgirl »

We use the Vernier Lab quests. They have been fantastic, but yes, a little on the expensive side. Our biology class has just taken them into the field on their camp with great success and found them very easy to use. We have successfully intergrated them into our physics, chemistry and biology courses without too much effort and the kids love using them. They have really opened up the possibilities for them for their EEI's. Would highly recommend them.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Post by Sassi »

There you go, i merged it with the old topic! Should find some good info here now.

Sass :giggle:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Sassi :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: .
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi everyone
We have had Data Harvest Data loggers for at least 10 years (I've only been here 2.5). The pH probes have lasted very well in the solution bought for the purpose but this must be changed regularly (6mths or less if evaporated). pH Probes themselves should be checked before use the first time of the year. There is a "factory" calibration setting and a "user" setting that gets saved onto the little adaptors and these MUST be kept with the particular pH probe. It doesn't matter which data logger you use but if you want the "user" calibration used the data logger setting must be changed to that (see under "system"). Any new piece of equipment can be faulty and should be checked on arrival (when you have time :crazy: ) so it can be sent back and get a replacement. I know how you feel about having to be onto the company all the time - I'm still trying to get replacements with one company for wrongly sent orders from the beginning of the year! :redcard:
Regards
Sue G
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Datalogging Equipment

Post by DavidPeterson »

Just wondering what datalogging system you all use.

We use Vernier LabQuest - mainly for Physics (motion etc) but also temperature recording for Chem enthalpy pracs.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
souj
State/Location: WA

Re: Datalogging Equipment

Post by souj »

Vernier LabQuest too.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Love LabQuest - Sometimes I feel I greatly underuse it, but figure it's coz I'm so busy snapping Mg into tiny bits etc etc. But seriously, I get good back-up from Scientrific, and we've incorporated it into Senior Maths leading into Nat Curriculum etc.
Cheers, K 8-)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

We have one Labquest we purchased about 2 years ago.

We also had a Pascoe with miutiple probes bought in 1997 and a slightly newer Data Harvest (2002) that were both destroyed in the fire in March.
After much investigation and discussions we are replacing both with Vernier Labquest 2. The Pascoe with a Physics pack and the Data Harvest with a Chemistry pack. This will give us 3 similar data loggers so hopefully with a couple of additional probes they will actually get used in the senior classes.

None of the teachers have been very keen to learn how to use them so far.

Wendy
smiley

Post by smiley »

Don't forget to regularly update your LabQuest. You can do this by downloading the update from Vernier onto a usb, and then uploading it to the LabQuest. Never, EVER, try to download directly onto your LabQuest.
Cheers, K 8-)
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Re: Who uses Data Loggers?

Post by Ian »

J wrote:. If we sit them all in the same solution, none of the readings are even close. :mad: :mad:

I can understand that the pH meters may be old and useless, but the probes for the data loggers are brand new, and the instructions say that for basic operation they do not need to be calibrated. :?

Julie
Out of interest, Julie, what was the pH of the solution that you were testing?

I have a vague memory that a while ago, some one on ChemTalk explained that if you put a pH probe into a neutral water solution of pH 7, the probe would continue to show the pH of the of the last previous solution that it was used in. I think that the logic was along the lines of, that in a neutral solution, there was not any excess of ions to change the probe.

If this the case, perhaps you should place all the probes in either an acid or basic solution and see if they still vary a lot (0.1M HCl sounds good!)

Cheers
Ian
lada

Post by lada »

Best way is to check against buffer solutions. We have had our 2 pH probes since 2008 and still good. I have them stored in 1% KCl solution between uses. Make sure the membrane doe not dry up.
Lada
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thanks for the catch-up Ian
To be honest I can't remember what solution I was using, and yes it probably was just distilled water. I have since bought some buffer tablets so no doubt will one day get around to having another go. Meanwhile I have just been using the one that seemed to give the closest to a sensible reading (fudging it when necessary, as we do!!)
Thanks

J