and any other non-chem subjects.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

what do you use to dissect on

Post by pkij »

What do you guys do dissections on? I have baking trays filled with wax which are looking quite grungy :yuck: and they are not always easy to clean, so I am looking at replacing them. Maybe its a silly question #-o but I am wondering if there is anything else that works better to cut up on.
RobynN
State/Location: ACT

Re: what do you use to dissect on

Post by RobynN »

We collect the polystyrene trays from supermarket packed meat and veges and reuse them. They can be pinned into, you can choose the size to match what you are chopping up and you can throw them away when you have finished if you want.
presto2
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Gorokan High School
Suburb: Lakehaven
State/Location: NSW

Post by presto2 »

Hi
We use the thick plastic food cutting boards which I have drilled holes in the four corners to use to tie the rat for dissections. We bought the pack of cutting boards from the Reject shop and there was two different sizes in each pack.
These boards are really easy to clean and you can put in dishwasher if you have one. :clap3:
I hope this helps.
Mary
Last edited by presto2 on 30 Apr 2009, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
bindi

Post by bindi »

We use normal plastic cutting boards, I wrap them in 2 sheets of newspaper, which the student then wraps the dissection in and places it in the garbage bin. The boards are usually quiet clean, then I run them through the dishwasher or hot soapy water if needed urgently for the next class.
Judy R

Post by Judy R »

We buy foam sheets from an art supplier and cut them to size.
When finished they are binned...no washing up and easy to store.
dime

Post by dime »

Depending what they are cutting up, we mainly use plastic dissection trays (heavy duty plastic dishes 130x190mm - from Q stores) for brains, hearts and eyes. For rats we have wooden boards (ex shelving) with nails in each corner. The plastic boards would be easier to clean, but we don't do rats that often.
lada

Post by lada »

Like Dime, we use large wooden boards for rats, but for smaller dissections we use plastic disposable dinner plates. No washing or cleaning, straight to the bin.
Lada :coffee:
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

The Food Tech Department bought new plastic boards years ago and we got their old wooden ones topped with laminate. They were huge in size so we got the Wood Work teacher to cut them in half, so now we have a good collection and with the laminate on top they are quite easy to clean. We also have a few plain wooded ones but I try not to use them if possible.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

we use corregated cardboard square, lined with a few sheets paper towel to preven juicy
run-off.

For rats, there are two holes poked into the corner of each piece of cardboard. Then the limbs of the rat are tied & attached by string, through these holes to secure them.
When disections finished, they go straight into the bin- no wash up!
Hearts are laid on the same set up, but without the holes

For smaller items like kidneys, brains or eyes, cardboard again, just smaller sized OR ice cream lids, lined with paper towel.

These all work really well... minimum fuss and clean up :coffee:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We use old stool seats, we cover these in al foil. For really messy jobs. Some times we use a tray for the smaller items, that may fall or slide off the stool seats.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

We use aluminium trays. And large petri dishes for eyes and kidneys. 8-)
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

We use thin white plastic cutting boards that have been cut in half, white tiles or just on newespaper. Thankfully we don't do rat dissection - just eyes, lungs, plucks, etc. Either the cutting board or tile is good and washes well in the dish washer.
Lou P.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

We use metal dissecting trays. They used to have wax in them but I took it out, much easier to keep clean. Haven't done a rat dissection for 6 or more years so we don't need the wax anyway.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

We use the QStores dissecting trays, 2 sizes, or wooden boards - including old stool seats.

Love all the different suggestions!!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
smiley

Post by smiley »

Back when I lived somewhere that allowed rat dissections without annoying paperwork, we used to staple the little rats hands and feet to fridge box cardboard, rather like a crucifixion, only they were already dead (hopefully). No washing up etc etc.
Cheers, K 8-)
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

I use chopping boards...the hard plastic ones from woolies and pop them in the dishwasher when finished with...come up sparkling every time
General
State/Location: TAS

Post by General »

We crucify our rats too. I nail them to wooden boards. I make sure I use long enough nails so I can stack them on top of each other. It's a great space saver.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

we also use hard plastic chopping boards from supermarkets - dishwashing makes it all super easy!