What to wear

for anything else that doesn't fit.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

What to wear

Post by macca »

Can I have your point of view please! :coffee: or am I just stubborn, my HT is interested too, he can be stubborn too.

At the beginning of this year, staff were told no demin coloured jeans. We went to the union, they can't help.
I have been here since 1995, and only wear jeans summer and winter. I'm clean & tidy, the jeans are not fadded or with holes in them, or hanging down below my hips, (now I've painted a mental picture) I have in the past discarded jeans because of acid. I don't go into the classes with the students anymore. We don't get paid enough for me to go and buy a totally new wardrobe. :redcard: or do I just keep wearing them? or maybe I can dye them all black?

Would love to know if anyone else has been told what they have to wear. :coffee:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: What to wear

Post by Jen1 »

When the no denim policy was introduced here some years back, the principal at the time said that he couldnt force staff not to wear denim but would really appreciate it if staff could follow the same rule. His reasoning was that it would stop the kids arguing about them not being allowed to wear it when the staff do. We have a couple of staff that still wear denim occassionally and as far as I know, they are not chastised about it. I bought myself 3 pairs of black pants (similar to what someone in the hospitality industry would wear) for about $20 each and am still wearing them 4 years later. I dont think my jeans would last that long.
I suppose my message is that I dont think they can force you to not wear denim but I found it easier to avoid it at work,
cheers
jen
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I have never been told what to wear. I don't wear denim but probably cos I'm not fashionable! Most of our science teachers wear jeans - or mini skirts - and some wear dressy thongy things on their feet. Highly inappropriate in a science lab... Strange when I have been frowned on just for wearing shoes that do not have steel cap toes.

Interesting to hear what other labbies do.

Robbie
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I only wear jeans summer & winter as I find they are the best wearing and last longer than anything else :clap3: :clap3:
I would hate to be told what I can and can't wear :redcard: :redcard:
Sometimes I am better dressed than the teachers :clap3:
It is a sad world when we are told what to wear and what not to wear. :cry2: :cry2:
By the way is the school fitting the bill for new clobber??? :cheesy: :cheesy: ( I think I made a funny :cheesy: :cheesy: )
Noona
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Our school policy is for 'proffessional dress' so we are supposed to wear (all staff other than cleaners/maintenence) what we would wear to a business interview. All male teachers are to wear ties and there are limits on the lengths of skirts for females, no 3/4 length pants ect. I think the reasoning is that the kids are expected to wear their uniforms to a certain standard and the staff should be better dressed than the kids, setting an example. I just wear black pants and a nice shirt - not quite business standard but I figure I usually have a lab coat over the top and make sure I still look well presented. I haven't been pulled up on it. I try to get shirts when they are on sale or from op-shops so I don't worry if they need to be thrown out. I think I've been lucky though, and only had one shirt in just over 2 years that got a hole from acid which I had to throw out. I had the same 2 pairs of black pants for 2 years in this job and a year or more before that in my previous jobs and keep them now as spares after buying new ones over the christmas holidays cheap on a trip to Melbourne. Otherwise I reckon I'd still be wearing them! They aren't quite black anymore though... I don't really have a problem with the dress standard because I figure most jobs have specific clothing requirements. Black pants are cheaper than jeans (just buy them when you see them on sale somewhere) anyway. I can see though that it would be frustrating being told after so long that your choice of clothing is no longer appropriate! I guess because our standards are set out before taking on the job there are no surprises and you know what is expected of you before you start.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Weeeell being a bit of a fashionista and a shoe-o-holic I refused to have anyone telling me what to wear :hitthefan:

When I started here they told me no denim, I politely replied that unless they pay me better I will wear whatever I see fit :wink2: I refuse to go buy nice pants to wear at work, when they most likely will get acid burns, and I am way way too vain to wear cheap ugly $20 pants (sorry Jen1 no offence, I am just really vain), so I wear denim. No one has complained since, besides I aways look nicer than the teachers anyways, specially when wearing those red shoes of mine :giggle:

Sass :wink2:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I wear denim nearly all the time. I have nothing to be vain about and I dress purely for comfort and safety. No one has complained and if they do they can go take a flying leap! :roll: :roll:

Sometimes I work in the office as well, and no one has said anything, so I'll continue to dress as I please. :coffee: :coffee:

Julie
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

When our principal decided that he didnt want staff wearing denim he caused a bit of a stir so when our staff photos were being taken the whole staff bar the principal wore denim......you name it we wore it.....skirts jeans shorts jackets hats whatever we could get a hold of he turned up shook his head and said "I cant win can I?" :clap3: So after that there were no policies about clothing.

Because its so hot up here most staff just wear shorts and t shirts which I must admit I thought looked a bit shabby when I first started but if they dont offer a set uniform then I guess you will get staff wearing whatever they want. I wear uniform polo shirts with the EQ logo on them with nice shorts and again I look more dressed up then some of the teachers. \:D/
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

no offence taken sassi, your post gave me a laugh! :giggle:
regards,
the unfashionable, but richer in pocket, cheap pants wearer! Jen1 :cheesy: :cheesy:
smiley

Post by smiley »

Being a private school and all, our ancillary staff have a uniform. That being said, the office staff wear jade green print crepe shirts and black crepe skirts :yuck: . I don't work in the same level of air-con that they do, so I wear black shorts and green sleeveless shirts or polos in the same colour green. By the way, the polyester/viscose shorts and long trousers (for those who live down south) that Millers sells are actually acid-resistant. Acid tends to "bead" when spilt on them, and you don't get little holes. Admittedly that's pretty cute when one is only wearing shorts, but useful to know all the same. :thumbup: Makes the decision on what to wear just so much easier. I dress the same every day, and it's saved me a bundle over the years.
Cheers, K 8-)
jat

Post by jat »

We have a no Denim policy here which really does not worry me. My biggest bug bear about our dress code is male staff members are expected to wear ties in winter time.- terms 2 and 3. I always say the world is a dangerous enough place and laboratories even more so without having a rope around your neck so refuse to wear one!

John
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Our staff handbook this year said no denim. As I am on the heavy side stretch denim is more suitable for comfort. I have two pairs of stretch denim jeans and three pairs of polyester pants (compliments of mum and Miller's, non-stretch, unsuitable for the wet season and not good for bending over to pick up stuff off the ground or getting equipment out of low cupboards). I will not wear denim that is prefaded, scruffy or looks grimy and yellowish. Currently I wear Target shirts (cheap at sales time) yukky colours with collar, short sleeves and three buttons at the neck. As long as my clothes are clean, ironed and look presentable I will wear what is in my wardrobe. I will have to deal with confrontations if they occur and yes denim will always be a part of my working wardrobe. I think the job we do dictates the type of clothing worn.
Lyn.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

My work clothes, actually my wear everywhere clothes, are loose elastic waisted Batik print pants in the brightest patterns I can find. Todays are bright yellow and orange, worn with a purple top. 8O
If I put on anything other than my pants, especially a skirt, my kids asks whats special, where am I going today?

Probably not as safe from severe spills from acid as denim, but I find denim too hot and thick and I need elastic waists.

It's actually my small statement of fashion indivudiality. A hang over from the asian gear I wore in the 70's.
I have heard myself described to others as "the one with the bright pants" and them then knowing exactly who they were talking about.

I do like it when kids comment how much they like the pants. I'm less well dressed than most of the other SASS staff but I find it a whole lot more practical for the work we do and the fact that it could be ruined any day from a spill.

Wendy
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Wendy ......you cool dude. :clap3:

Hey your not related to the Brownes from Bellata are you because they were tragic hippies caught in the 70s as well :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: (I mean that in the nicest way too)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Our dress code is modest, beige/bone & dark blue, no denim.

We have available uniform pieces to buy , but they are so expensive.
However, price doesnt suit me, as the pants are poly.

So I found some cotton beige dress pants that i wear with a narrow belt($20 per pair), I also have one shirt with a logo, and another 5 non-uniform, tops that I use to get me through the week. One is black, another dark red, one brown, a white and a green stripey one.

Footwear is my problem. I dont need steel toe caps, they are exhausting and heavy to wear.

I have leather comfs, that are spill proof, and a few other pairs, including Colorados. I have to cycle through they as the day goes on, due to tiring feet

Re the demim issue.
before we had e suggested uniform, I bought a pair of black jeans, without the outside stitching on them ( we werent allowed demim or outside stitching that was a different colour). Those jeans were tough & lasted me many years..

I am thinking that if you DO have outside coloured stitching on a pair of bleu jeans, just dying them black would solve both those problems at once.
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

My first school, a State High School, once had a principal who insisted that all male staff wear ties. He even threatened to dismiss a particular teacher if he did not wear a tie the following Monday.
Come Monday, Screamer (teacher's nickname) attended school not wearing a tie around his neck but a waistcoat made up of many diverse ties. He could not be sacked and everyone, including the Principal had a great laugh.
Maree
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Beige! In a Lab! Barbara you are such a brave girl! :w00t:
Though there is no ruling as to what we are to wear here, it is expected that we look neat and tidy. A lot of the staff wear jeans all the time so it wouldnt be a problem if I did too.However,the admin staff here got together and chose a uniform - and it was suggested that I might like to dress as they do. It is totally inappropriate for an un-airconditioned laboratory. They look fabulous and elegant - but they wouldnt stay that way in our job. :lol: So I do have my 'work clothes'!
I wear the most boring outfit imaginable - Navy or Black pants - Millers of course. I have 3 shirts from a uniform shop. Even though they were expensive, I bought them because they resist acid and stains and dry in a flash with NO IRONING! One of the uniform tops I have been wearing for 8 years now and it still looks great, so I have got my moneys worth! :clap3:
Winter - I look around and get tops on sale from Millers.
I have my set of work clothes - in their own little wardrobe - and THEN I have my OTHER clothes .. what I save on work clothes I spend on what I like :w00t: :party:
I buy new work shoes every year and spend about $200 on them - I consider that being on my feet all day I should concentrate the major outlay to this item. I also buy expensive socks with padding and all that stuff. The first pair I bought were a trial, I thought that they would have to be extremely good to be worth paying $25 for! :-o They were worth it and I now wear no other socks to work..
As to 'out' shoes - Sassi you and me should be called 'Imelda'! :giggle:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We have a uniform for us SAO staff, the others all have collars, but as I wear a lab coat every day, I have a round neck top, the same colour as every else, with the School Logo on. We have a choice of Red, Pale Blue, or a Gold yellow colour, for the tops, and navy or black skirts or pants. No low necks allowed, or Denim, thongs, must have closed in shoes. The Principal has sent people home before now for wearing the incorrect shoes. Nice sandies type ones. Causal teachers are often told what to wear, if they wish to work here. Slow but sure he is getting his message across. It has sure caused a big stir in people, but the principal has spoken. The students can not do experiments unless they have the correct shoes, and that OH&S rules not school rules.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

Since last year our school adopted a no jean, no t-shirt policy. To try to live up to the image when the teachers bought their "uniform" I bought one too ($428) I have gone up a size since then and can't wear them..what a waste...I have started to wear jeans again during the days I only have Science and Food Tech (not when in the class with students) and as yet have not had anyone say anything but a few have LOOKED...I figure when I have chemicals running down my arms and legs or splashing on my chest or am on my knees with the animals I don't want to be wearing $200 trousers anyway....it is OK for other staff but I think Science technicians should be allowed to dress as appropriate...I tell them denim was invented as a safe working clothing anyway...I should know I do all the Chemical Safety...
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

MAYBE - we should all "go on strike" - a working one... and wear overalls - tie-dyed ones would be great - hot in summer, so lets wait til winter..AND we could have a sign printed on them... a cheeky one!