A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

metal tongs

Post by RosalieM »

Hi people!
I have yr 11 students currently heating up crucibles for a prac. Unfortunately many of the metal tongs we have are dodgy and don't actually meet up at the end (makes it difficult to remove a hot lid!! 2 broken already... but we have heaps. It just means they have to start the heating process again...). Does anyone know a good brand/supplier for tongs that will last? Some of them are relatively new (last year??) and I think they should last longer than that, especially as they don't get used very often.
Thanks in advance!
Rosalie
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: metal tongs

Post by macca »

Hi Rosalie,

:oops: We have the same problem, can't afford to get new ones all the time, tried a different shaped type last year but absolutly useless. Have now taken to a pair of pliers and hammer outside on the cement and belted them back into submission. Give it a try :thumbup:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

When ever I send out the crucibles and lids I also add the same number of almost straightened paper clips, ie with just the largest bend still left this makes a good hook to slip through the handle on the lid to lift it up.

Most of my crucible tongs also no longer meet, I think the newer ones are even worse than the oldies!

Wendy
dime

Post by dime »

We have brass ones. They are bendable and reasonably re-bendable. When they get loose, I hammer the pivot rivet or whatever it is, and because it is brass and soft enough, it tightens the tongs up and they tend to meet again. Sometimes you have to be more artistic and get the pliers and bend the arms back into shape, so they meet.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Wendy - great idea!! I might try that for next time :)

To everyone else - looks like I'd better find my hammer and pliers... Good to know I'm not the only one with duds. You'd think they'd have worked out how to make good tongs by now! Guess it's like jugs... You'd think they would have worked out how to make a jug that doesn't spill everywhere except where you want it to go!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Must have been designed by a male, thinkest thou...

Robbie
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Why oh Why hasn't SOMEONE designed better tongs?????
When using them with crucibles over a bunsen, they hold the crucible at the wrong angle.. when you try to swirl the crucible they often just 'let go' and you end up with hot mess everywhere..if you then try to pour the melt out from the crucible, you are extremely lucky if you manage to get the melt where you actually want it - AND not drop and break the crucible.
I think the prongs are too big for ceramic crucibles - not fine enough... like doing brain surgery with a plumbers wrench.
BUT I suppose it's like that old saying - 'We have always done things that way'
Pam
rp

Post by rp »

I use wooden test tube holders.They grip really well. (from above- just grabbing 1 side)