A general discussion and Q & A forum.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Why Is It So?

Post by cactus155 »

Why do science teachers decide that the last few weeks of the last term are a good time to do projects with groups of 2 or 3 students? Especially when the budget closed on the 31st of October and they need stuff bought from the supermarket etc.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Re: Why Is It So?

Post by Loopy »

Aahh! Grasshopper, what leads a moth to light? Why do maples seem to sing when there is no wind about? When you can snatch the pebble from my hand it is time for you to go!
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

I would just like to know how many wines Loopy has had today. My mind can be quite abstract, I am told, but no way does this describe Loopy's comment.
Maree
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I wish! No, I was just trying to extol the futility of pondering the perplexities of life mixed in with the old TV show - Kung Fu (I mean really old, with David Carridine in it).... Come to think of it a little wine wouldn't go astray...
lada

Post by lada »

Our teachers decide to do something "fun" with the kids and I know it will be messy and hard to clean, eg making lipstick, dissecting squid and fish, making honeycomb and I have to sterilize the whole lab.
Only just finished inventory, hurray
lada :thumbup:
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

yep...true to form....
seems we are making paper mache solar systems.....scaled to size of bodies but NOT to distance between bodies!

Groups of 2 !!! Anyone have a good recipe?

Oh yes, now that you mention it... honeycomb and rocky road tomorrow...Hmmm :whistling2:
dime

Post by dime »

Loopy -I thought you were immensely funny =D> I guess I'm old enough to get it straight away :wink2: keep up the funnies!
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

me too loopy, sent the series to my brother in law for christmas last year....great show
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thank you for your kind comments... at least I dont feel like I'm old alone and my warped sense of humour is understood by some! :w00t:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Not a chance Loopy. Lot's of us are old enough to get that joke. My sister was in a room full of people (Govt meeting) all Australian, except for one Canadian. Someone said "this is growing like a little weed.." whereupon the entire room, bar one, said "Hello little we-e-e-ed!" and laughed like hyenas. :cheesy: Naturally the Canadian stood dumfounded in the middle of the room with NO idea what just happened!

BTW - we are making ice-cream in ziplock bags. Easy, edible and no clean up for me. Its all good. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Do tell Smiley, how do you make ice cream in zip lock bags?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Too easy! Just finished making it with little year 8's.

1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

All into a zip-lock bag (sandwich or snack size). Gently squeeze air out and seal bag.
Place a layer of ice in a largish lunchbox ( I snaffle all abandoned lunchboxes at the end of every term). Place closed zip-locks on top - NB each kid should label their bage with waterproof marker before they start. Place another layer of ice on top. Sprinkle 1/2 cup salt over the ice. Pour 1/4 cup water over the salt. Close the lunchbox lid and shake for 10 minutes. (that's the good bit, wears the cherubs out!)

After 10 minutes, quickly rinse zip-lock bags, especially near the zip closure, or they'll get salt water in their ice cream. Open bag, eat ice-cream! Yum. Then they can go home and add Nesquik or whatever for different flavours.
Cheers, K 8-)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Making ice cream is now on the must ry list! Yum! Thanks Smiley!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I'm working through all the posts I've missed since last Wednesday. Thank goodness the block is quiet this afternoon, otherwise they'd be complaining about how loud I'm laughing :cheesy:

Go Loopy - I love a touch of Kung Fu wisdom!

And I wanna make ice-cream now - sounds yu-um-my .......
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Ah.. I thought it was from 'Monkey' .... must brush up on my quotes!
Does this happen to any of you-
You see a situation and it reminds you of a song, and then you sing or hum it - and the staff have NO idea what you are singing??? That is, until someone who was young in the 70's walks past!
excuse this old granny.... sigh