Collection of text books yr 12

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Collection of text books yr 12

Post by Labbie »

Just wondering who collects the text books that yr 12 have used last year. Does your head teacher collect them back, or is it you perhaps? What system do you use? I have been doing this job for over 6 years. But this year two new teachers have forgotten to put what books the students borrowed on the cards, that we use. It is a right old mess, so for next year I was wondering if you each have different ideas. Would love to hear them.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
presto2
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Gorokan High School
Suburb: Lakehaven

Re: Collection of text books yr 12

Post by presto2 »

Hi
Text books use to be a big issue at my school. Books were never returned. Now we charge senior students a $100-00 book deposit. The books have been barcoded through the library and are issued by class to students, then at end of year 12 the students return all books to library and they sign off on their leavers form. The library assistants then send them to Science where I or the Head Teacher puts them away.
Took a while to set up through library but now is a far better system then our old one.
Mary
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Our system is like Presto2's without the $100 deposit (but I like that idea!). Sounds like a bit of bother for you Sue, I hate when people muck up the system.
Lou.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes I like your idea also. Do you re-issue the text books yourself next year, via a scanner or does the Library? Are each text book issued to that student or that teacher via the bar code? In other words does the whole class need to go to the library to get next years books? Sounds just what we need, did Scienc pay for the set up or the school?
Regards Labbie

Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

In our case, we hold the books. The teacher gives out the books, then sends the class immediately to the library for scanning. At the end of the year, the student returns the book to the library, and the lovely ladies there clean the covers then returns the books to us. The scanning part is just part of the library and book issue so I couldn't really say who paid for it.
Lou.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
We have what I call a BOOK BOOK and the teachers give me the list of names & I issue the books and on sign out day the kids return them and I stamp the form on stamp HD will not sing them out untill they bring back the books or pay at the office and show a docket
If you want a copy of the sheet just let me know
This works well at our school and at my old school as well.
Noona
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes please Noona would like to see a copy of your BOok Book.

Thank you

fax number is 9823 7662
Last edited by Labbie on 20 Nov 2008, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot fax number
Regards Labbie

smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Our LIbrarian is like Gollum with books in general, not to mention other pieces of equipment "this Data Projector is expensive Kristin" - like No Duh. I'm only a trained Lab TEch who uses expensive equipment regularly, but I digress.

SO all books in this school go through the library, which uses the usual scanning system, and the lovely library ladies run the show. Yay!
Cheers, K 8-)
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Our student have to borrow the books via the school Library and for them to be able to sign out at the end of year 12 all books must be returned or paid for to be replaced. We have slowly started to bring this into the junior section of the school also. It seems to be working.
KIMMY \:D/
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Ours go through the Library now, as per Loopy's post. Much much better.

They still don't all come back, though, in spite of letters home, etc. so next year we are giving the seniors the option of buying their own, through the school, so they pay ex GST prices.
Parents are advised well before the end of year, and of course, it's optional.

Maths implemented the scheme a couple of years ago, and find it's working well.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

So far no one has asked me to do anything with text books apart from taking one to the Library every now and then for covering.

Should I just keep my head down? :-)

Patti
The Search Engine
Cuishie
State/Location: WA

Post by Cuishie »

Our upper school students buy their own copies of text books and then usually try and onsell them to next years upper school. We do try to keep a couple of copies for students who come late during the year or forget their own copy. These do tend to go astray because the teachers don't follow the signing out through the library process (AS IF) and so we never really know who has borrowed them to chase up their return!!! This doesn't sound like teachers at all does it!!!
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Patti,

ABSOLUTELY! Isn't there a wise saying in the Army - never volunteer for anything.
Cheers, K 8-)
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

We have a book register sheet and the teachers write the student name and text number(s) on the sheet and give to me for "safe keeping"
The books are then returned to me and I sign their card
Any not returned - ie the kids haven't gone through correct signing out procedures, I then send a letter home to the parents. This doesn't end up being many, just occassionally will get students who leave school, and just don't come back.....
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue Wlii do that today for you
Noona
coxy

Post by coxy »

I have created a "Loan sheet" which has the teacher's name, Year group, subject and each teacher of senior classes has his students write their name, the code number of the text book, then sign it. At the end of each year the students cannot sign out until they are cleared by both the teacher and myself as having returned the book/s. All year 11 and 12 students are supposed to pay a $100 textbook hire fee but they don't always. However, some texts are handed out during class, and the kids cannot take them home unless they textbook hire fee is paid in full.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Noona, We have the same system, on a sheet, and then I write it on the students cards. As some students do all three subjects. But some teachers are just NOT writting it down what they give out. So the student are not giving it back, we also sent a letter home with the cost of replacing that book. But if the teacher forgets to put that book down, seems the student does not have to pay for it, this was only found out, when some lovely students brought all their books back. I thanked them, but some smart _________________ said if its not on our sign out sheet, we do not have to return them. Principal said that is corrrect, NOT on their sign out sheet, do not have to return it. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

We will be going with the library next year FOR ALL TEXT BOOKS.
Regards Labbie