Now Kel, dont be sittin' on em! :cheesy:

Enjoy!
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Re: spiny leaf insects

Post by vlclabbie »

Ohhh! :-o Now I read the instructions & it says not to sit on them.............. 8O OOOOPS!!!!

Hmmmmm now the mutant spiny leaf insects will have a mutant flat gene as well!!! :cheesy:
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I am the proud mummy of a spiny leaf insect named "peanut". Its the cutest little thing and I'm hanging out for more. It hatched from one of the 2 batches of eggs sent to me. Is anybody else's hatching yet?

Cindy
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

I tired to hatch 5 eggs this term but with no success, so I thought I'd wait until spring before trying again.
Congratulations on your success, :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: and hopefully next term I'll be able to make my announcement. [-o< [-o<
Jen
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Mmmmm still waiting patiently here.... :coffee:

Come on stickies.... Got a REALLY sad 'joke' for you all. I was on my way out on the last day of term & taking the Stickie eggs with me.... when one of our head teachers took an interest & asked what they were... I replied they were Stick insect eggs & he said....quote "that's weird, those eggs don't look like sticks to me!"............. Unquote :-| Rolling around on the floor laughing I was NOT! But I laughed anyway... and his quote may just turn up on the window above them one day.... :whistling2:
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

One of my 'babies' has hatched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

Waiting patiently for the others.................. :thumbup:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Congratulations Kel! That's a lot of months of patience you've used up til now!! Are you sure you've got some left for the rest?
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Mmmmmmm juries out on that one! So excited that just ONE has hatched that the rest will be a bit of an anticlimax!

Worst bit is we are on holidays so the kiddies at school didn't get to see!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

hi Kel, some of mine hatched a couple of weeks ago and are doing fine, I've been feeding them on the gum trees out the front of the school, (I can go for a smoke at the same time) The only thing that I'm a bit worried about is the holidays I have to take them home, hopefully a change in diet is not going to worry them.

I have them in an old fish tank on the prep.room window the kids love them.
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Cool Macca! Mine are / will be in 2 cages.... one for the babies (an old fish tank) & in my prep room window too & a second larger wooden one for the adults / bigger babies...

Let me know how you go with the change of diet. It says they only like the type they start on but it would be much easier if they would survive a change! My one (still! when will those others hatch?!) has lemon-scented gum (courtesy of the fact that he was hatched on the first day of my wagga residential & it was the quickest thing I could through together so the little bugger didn't croak...!) & he seems to be getting a bit bigger so he must be enjoying...?! And he's still living.... after 6 days...

Anywho... off to write up all those lovely pracs I did at said residential.... :yuck:
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

vlclabbie wrote:...It says they only like the type they start on but it would be much easier if they would survive a change! My one (still! when will those others hatch?!)...
Is the patience not in such abundance now? 8-[ Congratulations to your little guy for surviving the first 6 days with no mates :hi: I hope his brothers, sisters, cousins etc decide to join him soon! :console:
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Hey everyone, just after someone's expertise on the subject........ My lone stickie "Stickie the First" was hatched in late Sept but s/he still has little mates! I'm still diligently caring for said mates eggs but nothing.... After a month should I be giving up & begging someone for some more eggs (if anyone had them!?!) or should I still be patient..........??

Kel
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

It can take up to 18 months for eggs to hatch.........
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

wow that is amazing
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

So I assume that Stickie the First was a mutant fast hatcher?? :cheesy: Or just an older egg in with some newer ones.... (that would be the boring answer!).

Ah well.... back to the waiting & watching :popcorn:
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Kel, It is quite some time since this thread was active... just wondering how stickie the first is going and if he/she eventually ended up with some friends?
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

WE HAVE ONLY THREE LEFT FROM OUR HATCHLINGS...WE HAD 25 IN THE CAGE AND THE NEXT MORNING AFTER THE BOYS WERE 'lOOKING' AT THEM THERE WERE ONLY 5 LEFT...TWO DIED AND NOW WE ARE HOPING FOR THESE TO SURVIVE SO WE CAN GET EGGS....OUR TWO BIG ONES DIED SHEDDING...THEY SEEMED NOT TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT OF THEIR SKINS...DID THEY GET TOO WET? SOME OF THE TEACHERS WERE SPRAYING THEM SAYING THEY HAD TO BE DAMP TO SHED BUT I THOUGHT THEY SHOULD BE DRIER SO THE SKIN WOULD SLOUGH OFF??????
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

where do you obtain these stick insects? would love some tooo
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I found a praying mantis egg at home the other day, so am having fun researching to see how best to keep it until the babies hatch. Don't think they are a long term proposition (unless I can find someone with a healthy aphid infestation :giggle: (lol), but it sure would be fun if we were lucky enough to 'catch' them as they emerge, then release them.

I have put them in a paper bag in a sunny spot for now, following the best advice I've read so far, but am hoping some of you may have some experience and hints for us.

Cold again today, but not as bleak and bitter as yesterday, brrr...
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

How did you know they were praying mantis eggs? I'd love to look out for some myself.
kathryn