What do you do when you KNOW the teacher is wrong

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

What do you do when you KNOW the teacher is wrong

Post by fibreweb »

The message from Sassi about the disposal of Bromine water and an incident on friday prompted me to ask others, what do you do when you know what the teacher is telling the students is wrong? :oops:

On friday the Head teacher was explaining the change in pH in relation to molarity using HCL as his example. They are doing enzymes in Biology and working with Junket and the next lot of experiments are showing the effect of change of pH on the reactions. He had the concept right but was heading in the wrong direction.

Using only universal indicator and charts which start at pH 3 he started with 0.5M HCl and proceded to go to 1M, 4M, 6M to try and get pH1. I brought out the pH probe to try and show him they were all well below 1 but he said he didn't need it. I was trying to work out how to subtly say to him he was heading inthe wrong direction. He needed to start with 1M pH0 and serial dilute to 0.1M, 0.01M 0.001M to get up to pH 1,2 and 3 but I didn't know how to go about it. I'm not a very forthright person.

How have others handled this type of situation. Those of you with degrees I imagine would be able to speak up more easily but when most of your knowledge has been gained from listening through walls and asking questions it's hard to tell someone who thinks they know more than you that they are not quite correct. :unsure:

Wendy
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Re: What do you do when you KNOW the teacher is wrong

Post by Ocker »

I would grab them after the lesson and tell them 1 on 1, that way it's right next time
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Don't correct them in front of students or staff, just mention it to them at a later more appropriate time (while it's still fresh in their memory) so they can let their class know the correct details. I've come across this a few times and the teachers can either be really thankfull or annoyed at your knowledge. Play that bit by ear!

If they're totally wrong and won't listen to others - see the head of Faculty, you'd be doing the students a favour.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
lada

Post by lada »

I had plenty of practice with a teacher couple of years ago.
She was trying to teach chemistry and because I did chemistry diploma I knew lots more chem than she did.. Every time she made a mistake, I waited until after the lesson and told her the right answer. Gave her examples and show her how to work it out. next lesson, she corrected her mistakes. it was getting so often, that in the end,she would call me in to explain to students, well that was not my job, so I had to ask HOD and he had a word to both of us, she still had to do the lessons, but find out the answers BEFOREhand.
She only lasted 2-3terms and left.
lada :coffee:
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Well it is a tricky subject... When I first started here we had a male bio teacher here, and he was always getting things the wrong way around, at first I didnt say anything cause I wasnt sure how he would take it, but one day he said something so totally wrong that I just couldn't keep my gob shut. As I knew he was a very sensitive person, I said as gently as a could "excuse me Mr M, but I think I must have missunderstood you, i thought you said ... but I am pretty positive it is this way..." Wel I thought I had said it in the nicest possible way, he blushed and quickly corrected himself and I thought all things were good, until later that afternoon when HT comes to have a word with me, apparently Mr M was furious with me and thought I'd made him look bad in front of his class, so I got into trouble and no one cared about the poor students getting the right info. So... After having learnt the lesson that teachers hate being wrong I have stopped caring and just wont say anything. When however it is something that is closely related to myself and my work, I guess you MUST say something, and I do, but usually I go and do some research first, ie ask you guys, or google or similar. Most of the teachers have now learnt that they need not question me about all things bio and genetics, and usually come and ask me for help. Chem and phys, however is another story altogether...

sas
smiley

Post by smiley »

Sure we've been down this road before, but here goes:

We are a small school, so we often get teachers doing PE & Science, or Maths & Science etc.
One day we had a mostly PE teacher explaining what went on when we add MnO4 to Hydrogen Peroxide. She had written a formula on the board that went H202 - H2 + O2. I kind of leapt in and said "Yes, this is what would happen eventually, but the first reaction is that the extra O2 detaches leaving H2O behind." And then I wrote out the proper formula.

Lucky for me that teacher openly declares that Chemistry is "not her thing" so she was pretty cheerful. My other multi-tasking teachers usually come for clarification BEFORE a prac, so we get less of that now. :thumbup:

Like Richard said, last resort is the HOD, especially if they are being taught or mis-taught something that will appear on their exams.
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have also learnt by experience to be very careful which teacher you correct.
You have to get to know them. Some are ok about it, but others think they are one step under Einstein and so know everything... I have years of experience in Industry and was RA for the Prof of Chemistry at local Uni, so I am not clueless, but SOME teachers seem to think I am just one step up from earthworms!!! :(
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I like earthworms!

Well, if that's the case Mushroom, resort to plan 'Z' which is only to be used when every other avenue has been exhausted.

Next time this member of staff goes off on a wrong tangent in front of a class - a well placed and vocal "RUBBISH!!!" or "NONSENSE!!!" when they're in full flight works wonders. The further you are away at the time also adds to the overall affect! (and the more time you've got to find a good hiding place)
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley

Post by smiley »

Yay! Richard - a man of my own humour plane. Actually, it works well with kids too. Narky kids say something unpleasant and I say "Oooh, cutting. Sarcasm from a 15-yr-old. How will I cope?" Then I leave and go back to the prep room. :thumbup:
laurena grieger
State/Location: SA

Post by laurena grieger »

run, hide. Are they wrong! I usually wait, comment by yourselves after class. Beware you may offend the teacher, after all we are only Lab Technicians. However, if you have strong views go and see your Science Co-Ordinator and inform them.
Good luck as it is not easy. Be confident in your role and remember no one wants to believe their teaching wrong information, they may not be any the wiser.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

It depends on who they are there are a couple of teachers that I tell if they are doing something wrong and a few who i wouldn't dare say anything to unless it was going to cause a danger. Usually the mistakes are on the theory side of things as well
smiley

Post by smiley »

Usually the mistakes are on the theory side of things as well
Gosh! Did you touch wood when you wrote that??!!
Cheers, K 8-)
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

ALL I AM GOING TO SAY IS - See it from my point of view..

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **