swapping Jobs???

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

swapping Jobs???

Post by Labbie »

Rumour has it our Principal is swapping the SAO jobs around. At this stage I am unsure where I will be put. I did not think they would do this to a fully trained labbie. But so I am told they can. Just as well I can type.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: swapping Jobs???

Post by Jen1 »

You may be able to type but can the office ladies run a science prep room?????
I don't think any of mine could!
What a ridiculous idea.
Sue, I hope your prinicipal comes to his/her senses before mucking everyone up.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Multi tasking is one of those things a Principal likes to do every few years to show who's boss. It provides very little if any practical gain to the running of a school in fact it takes weeks for everyone to settle into their new positions.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
No one will want to go to Science as they think they will blow up the place so I think your safe in Science.
They tried it here and no one would take me up on the offer top move to the office all to worried of what they might do.
Noona :-({|= \:D/ :coffee:
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Multi-tasking was tried here a couple of years ago. I didn't want to go anywhere else - I HATE answering phones - and no-one wanted to come into science. So I stayed put. Very happily.

Carol
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Thats it Noona!!! NEVER make it look at all easy and let them know very vocally how many near misses (make it up) you have a day and your position is as good as safe!

How could they swap you? You ARE science!

I bet they have a rethink.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley

Post by smiley »

What do your Science staff think of that great idea. 8O My staff would lead the riot themselves! Surely they can't want your skills going to photocopying etc. Then there's the French Resistance factor. Don't tell anyone where anything is, and see how long they last! (Evil laugh - ha, ha, haaaaa). :cheesy:
Cheers, K 8-)
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

One of the things I love about my job is the solitary nature of it. My normal personality is quite extrovert, however, helping out in the office has taught me quite a bit about myself. For example, I do NOT want the heater on if I am not cold. I may want the air conditioner on but others not. The stupid chit chat and having to learn to be quiet when some office person says something that tears you up inside. I help out in the office probably a few hours every fortnight. That is enough!
Oh, how I love being alone in my lab.
Maree
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Oh, Sue - sorry to hear that, so unsettling for everyone.
Sure it can work for the general Admin staff to move around every few years, but a completely different kettle of fish for your position. Just in terms of efficiency, it's a ineffective idea, 'cos you'd find yourself spending most of your time on the phone answering questions, or back over in Science showing the new person where things are or how to do something.

Richard - I'd say it takes years, not weeks, to learn this job competently!

Sue - I guess in the end you've got to go with the flow, but just keep repeating the obvious: you have the training and experience for the position you're currently holding, you'd be more than happy to stay there, and stress how much you enjoy it! Sooner or later the principal will realise it's better to have someone like you in the job, than to expect an admin person to move into it - quite likely to be untrained, unwilling, and unhappy!

Who's going to train them?

My feeling is that in DET schools, both Science and Finance are positions which carry extra responsibility, and so take a person with particular skills and a committment to the job well.
Both should be seen as separate to the usual SASS range of roles, with appropriate T&D.

Hang in there, Sue - lots of us out here feeling for you...

ps. Also have to agree with Maree =D> Here I can please myself (sometimes :whistling2: )
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Head teacher is away today. So I will be taking things home, like Solution lists, unwanted chemicals list, and other items I have done to help myself. Disposal numbers etc. And I will go from their. I may forget the keys on Monday, see how long before they ask for the keys.
Regards Labbie

kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

I think that i am safe in my labs as even when I am away none of the office staff will help out in the Science Department. I help out when ever needed in the front office - if anyone is away they call on me to go up there for lunch breaks etc :coffee: . but if im away the Science rooms and prep rooms seem to just be left be. I could not go to the front office full time as I find my own company good - in work anyway. I work to my own speed. Some days we ask ourselves what lunch break than we may get an extra long one in a day or two. Im not front office material and they are not Science Lab Assistant material. Lets see who wants to take on your job. See if they know where this and that is kept. And make up 100ml of something with no notice. Good luck. Hope you are not moved.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

A swap around at my school wouldn't work, the ladies in the office get paid more than I do, so I cant see any of them wanting to swap with me and drop their pay. And of course, they would have no idea of what to do once they got here.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Maybe you shouldn't type so "goodly"? You know like... several oopses! and remind them constantly that you handle chemical equations and preparation of chemicals in your sleep but getting this typing/filing/answering thing down pat will take a little while. :wink2:
Lou.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Shall we all :-) take bets as to how long till you are permanently back in science?
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I did years of casual before I became permanent, so I'm comfortable in any position in the school. Maybe I'll be Principal next week! Lol! :lol: :lol:
But none of them put up their hands when I'm away. I think my position is pretty secure. And yes, I like my own company too. And I hate at answering the phone. I'm quite happy down here in my little cave. People come to visit me here because it's warm in winter and cool in summer. 8-) :coffee:
Julie
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Update, Science staff all went up to see the principal. And by all accounts told him what they thought. But around 12O/c after the PSA was called, by someone. NO one wants to come to science, so I may just stay where I am. If NO one wants to try science, they can not be made. So I should know more after Lunch.

Thank you every one for all your ideas, thoughts, and I did have a few plans in action.
Regards Labbie

Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Keeping my finger crossed for you AND as we do in Sweden I am also holding my thumbs for you :lol: Not much work will be done like this, muuhahahahahahaha!

Sassi :D
lada

Post by lada »

Talking about changing job..
My headmaster saw me in the playground at lunch and said:"So, lada this is your last day, isnt it? " I looked blankly thinking OMG, what have I done, or maybe NOT done..Anyway, this blank 8O look must have registered,because he said "You are not coming back on MOn". Then I remembered he must be still thinking of my LSL, which was a mammoth task to get and he thought it was this term. So I put him straight, it was 3 months ago. Few, I live to work another day or week or...
lada :w00t:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Prehaps you should swap jobs with the Principal even for a day and then they will know that you do valuable work in the science area and will keep you there
debbec

Post by debbec »

Hi
I think any principal that wants to put the office staff in the prep room should be reminded of their duty of care. Our work requires training, we are highly skilled people. At least we have some good networks around so we can acknowledge this even if some senior staff have no idea.
Debbie