Cheap Agar

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Cheap Agar

Post by RosalieM »

Hi People!
At the St Mary's conference last year, some people were talking about purchasing cheap agar from asian food shops. I will be going to Sydney in the holidays and thought I might try to get some. Can any one tell me where I should go?
Thanks,
Rosalie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Cheap Agar

Post by Slartibartfast »

Head to Darling Harbour and right near the Entertainment Centre is Chinatown! There are several chinese/asian style grocers & general stores in that area that should have what your after. Paddys markets are there also so that might be worth a try. :mrgreen: Very good for fireworks also but you didn't hear that from me!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Richard. I forgot to also ask what sort of prices I'd be looking at, to see if it is worth the effort and stress of finding it. To save $10 I wouldn't put myself through the trauma! Q Stores have the agar (not the nutrient one) for $188 for 6x100g. I haven't looked it up anywhere else.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Q stores is the way we go too, although it could be a fun day out in the city for you.

We are waiting on some fairly basic chemicals from Q Stores also, has anyone else experienced a delay with ordering such things through them of late? I wasn't told they were on backorder. It's over 2 months!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

I would ring to check they received the order. They have a 1800 number but you usually have to spend a while on hold so take a coffee or something with you! Usually when I ring them to check on something it has been posted the day before...
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

My experience with Q-Stores has always been place the order one day and get the goods day after next! I would be ringing them!

Ian
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Done all that time and time again! They can see the order was placed in early February, that they have all the items in stock it's just the actual delivery bit they're having trouble with. They still want to be paid though!

If I hear 'I'll get back to you" again.............
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F