Classification

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Re: Classification

Post by Loopy »

Thanx Smiley! I remember seeing "wait a whiles" many years ago when my brother lived in Mareeba but had never heard of gympie-gympie trees! I love this site!
Lou.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

i am with you loopy - love this site always soemthing to learn - knew there were stinging trees as such in QLD but never came accross any when i was there for 9 years. Those wait a whiles are fun though :)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Please do tell what is the natural Antidote????????? A dock leaf perhaps, that we use for sting nettles.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Something like that. I'll see if I can get a photo, and maybe an Anglicised name for it (as opposed to a language name).
Cheers, K 8-)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Mmmmmmm talking about all this stinging!!!! What about grapes..... purple / green.... fermented / fresh..... LOL :cheesy:

That'd keep the little angels quiet........or not?!!!!!!!!!!! :drunk:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Would anyone have an index for their embedded specimens that I could have a look at, please? Ours are numbered, but I can't find any paperwork to go with them, and the teacher who would have had something previous to my coming here has since left... At my other school, they were a set presented in black cases, properly identified, but these are loose, with just handwritten numbers on stickers. I need somewhere to start!

Enjoyed re-reading this thread, especially your smarties idea, Smiley - don't forget peanut M&Ms, and now almond, too!

Fun :thumbup:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
smiley

Post by smiley »

Paper chain food chain exercise.docx
Key for plastic animals.docx
Plastic Animals key with no names.docx
insect flow chart with named bugs.docx
insect flow chart student work sheet.docx

Lizzie,

Hope I can attach this correctly. I just spent 3 days devising a brilliant prac for my HOD, who is teaching tinies (relatively speaking). I sourced a bunch of different food webs on the net, and used a combination of the plastic animals we own, the bugs, and laminated photos of creatures referred to. Pretty successful prac. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, K 8-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

And here's the rest!

If you do a search for Torrens Wetlands, and look around for Teacher Resources, there is a great Secondary food web exercise - there's a Primary one too, but the secondary one has better info. It has a page of info, and a page of pics. I incorporated it into the prac.

I set the whole prac up as 8 stations around the lab, and kids got to spend time at each bench, so some exercises were harder than others. Then they all came back to their seats and we looked at all their answers.

Hope you like it.

Food Web Prac Instructions.docx
Deep Sea Food Web Answer Chart.docx
Rainforest Food Web Answer Key.docx
Australian grasslands food web pics.docx
Rainforest Food Web Answer Key.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, K 8-)
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Wow, Smiley, thankyou, these are great! (Also good to finally speak to you, too).

I'll show them to my new Bio teacher, who brought her own excellent resources for this topic - she'll be as impressed as I am!

I am still hoping to identify the embedded specimens we have, if possible, so I can make up an index for them.

Thanks again :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Liz

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Liz Can I have your fax number please. I have a few lists from Nova on the specimens, with numbers.

WOW smiley that is just great, thank you for shareing with us. Who has been busy???????? :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Regards Labbie

dime

Post by dime »

Hi Liz
I've had a look at our specimens, which date from the ark, but they are not numbered. Just listed in an old book. I guess you would just have to get a competent teacher to identify them for you, or perhaps use google to help you do it? :D
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Sue - I'll PM you.

Smiley - my teacher was very impressed with your work, and joins me in thanking you very much.
She's spent some time with me this arvo running me through the whole classification topic, so I now have a much better idea of how best to approach this.

Dime - thanks for your good advice. That's what I'm going to do. Over the w/end I'll do some more research on google to come up with the most useful sites. eg. Southern Bio has clear photos, which will help me name them.

Thanks everyone!

2 days of dissecting hearts this week. Eyes next week. Soo-oo glad it's Friday...

Happy hols, Queenslanders & NSW private schools - enjoy your break. Find somewhere warm :clap3: :popcorn: 8) \:D/
Liz

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Liz can you let me know when the list I faxed you arrives, Please

This time next week, I will be in Singapore, lovely and warm. I just can not wait.
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Sue,

Thankyou very much - I've just rung down to the F/O, and it is there, so I will pick it up when I leave this arvo, and get back to you about it tomorrow.

Regards,
Liz

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Our network was down yesterday, hence my tardy reply, Sue.
Thank you very much for your info, that will certainly help me. But after all that, our physics teacher took the whole box home last night for his wife (bio teacher) to sort and name. He brought them back, with key, ready to use today, and we/I can keep working on it and see whether it's worth buying some new specimens eg. the real life bugs set that many of you recommended.

Re the network being out of action - isn't it amazing how much we depend on the internet? So lost without it! Got lots of my end-of-term clean-up done instead, though, so all good.

2 days to go, yay!
Liz

amandag
State/Location: VIC

Post by amandag »

What about classification of a large Shopping centre....ummmm...you should definitely trial this one... :giggle: :coffee:
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Excellent idea, Amandag - perhaps I should do some research on that over the next couple of weeks. Hmmm... :thumbup: :wink2:
Liz