Brainiacs and magnetic cornflakes.

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
worktofish
State/Location: TAS

Post by worktofish »

Has anyone tried this??

A strong magnet (probably neodynium) moved over floating cornflakes makes them move towards the magnet. The theory being that the "added iron" is magnetic. Have been asked by a staff member if this was a hoax. Short of neo magnets and hoping someone else can test the theory.
Wolfgang
State/Location: VIC

Re: Brainiacs and magnetic cornflakes.

Post by Wolfgang »

Just tried it with a Neodymium Iron Boron magnet on Rice Bubbles floating in a petri dish of water - and it works! According to the nutritional information on the packet there are 3 mg of iron per 30 g serve, so I guess that is enough. :)
worktofish wrote:Has anyone tried this??

A strong magnet (probably neodynium) moved over floating cornflakes makes them move towards the magnet. The theory being that the "added iron" is magnetic. Have been asked by a staff member if this was a hoax. Short of neo magnets and hoping someone else can test the theory.
Christine
State/Location: NSW

Post by Christine »

My teachers grind the cornflakes and then wet them, then any magnet will pick up the fragments. An eye opening experiment for the kids.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Special K

Post by Ocker »

I ground up Special k fakes run a magnet wrapped in gladwrap round in powder pulled it out had little specks of iron clinging to it
Robb

Iron in Cereals

Post by Robb »

Usually companies add Iron to the Cereal/Biscuit mixture prior to cooking. This is the procedure for Sanitarium "Weat -Bix". 400kg of Weat-Bix mixture is mixed and 100g of Iron Powder or fine Iron granules are added (Food Grade obviously).

The mixture is then baked and the biscuits pass a magnet prior to packaging. Although the magnets don't pick up all Iron traces and this leaves some remaining.

This allows the Iron to pass into the body when a breakfast cereal is consumed. It is then passed into the blood stream where it is vital for the production of Red Blood Cells.

This is why Iron ends up becoming exposed in breakfast cereals, which is detected by grinding cereals up and using magnets to detect any Iron.

Classes can grind cereals up, find the Iron via the use of magnets and then repeat the process with a different brands/types to compare quantities..

Great for an introduction to Science for a Year 7 Class.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Nutrigrain

Post by smeee »

Crush up about a cup of Nutrigrain with a mortar and pestle, add 400 mls water. Place on an electric magnetic stirrer ( don't forget to add magnetic stirrer to solution ) and watch what happens after 10 minutes. The magnet attracts the iron from the cereal. :idea:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

St Mary's conference 2009

Post by noona »

Hi All
Just to let you know the conference will be at St Mary's this year so for all who need to book Motels you can now go ahead and do so.
Sorry it took some time but as St Mary's will get the lab up grade they did not know if it would be this year or next.
Noona =D> =D> =D> \:D/ =D> =D>
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: St Mary's conference 2009

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Rosalie - see you there!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Tell me, where's a good place to stay nearby - where's everyone staying? (come hell or high water I'm coming to St Mary's this year!) :thumbup:
Lou P.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

St Marys Parkview Motel - within a block, next to a shopping centre and various places to eat. All very convenient.

Google it!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

For an out-of-towner - where is St Mary's
AND what are the dates?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

noona wrote:Hi All
Just a litle reminder yes I know it a bit early but the sooner the better
This will be our 10th =D> =D> :mrgreen: and we hope it is bigger and better than ever .
It is the 26th & 27th November 2009 and we may have to change venues thsi year as St Mary's may be in the middle of lab refubs.
If that is the case it will be at Greystanes High and we already have new Labs .
I will let you know asap so you can start planing for the big event \:D/ \:D/
Hope to see you all there . =D> =D>
So lets party :drunk: :drunk:
Noona
St Marys is near Mount Druitt, Penrith, just off the great western highway, train station very near the school, I believe its a 40-45mins train journey from the Airport.
Hope this helps you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: