risk assessment

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

Risk Assessment

Post by Robbie »

Robb,

Thanks for the fax, I received it with no problem.

Robbie
carolg

risk assessments

Post by carolg »

Hi Everyone,
This RA stuff really is a big issue.
I was told that as long as we were following the DETRA protocol a separate RA was not necessary. Thus I created a new order form which asks on the bottom of the page whether the DETRA protocol is being followed. If "NO" then a Site Specific RA must be completed on the other side. They have to sign off on this and if Specific RA is done, then science co-ordinator must sign off as well. They are supposed to fill in the non-chemical RA section, but usually don't.
Having a bank of RAs would be difficult in my situation as teachers are always doing last minute pracs and designing their own. If I can make it easy for them, there would be a greater chance of compliance.
I'd love to get a copy of your form Robb if you could fax it
46265664 attn Carol G. (we have 2 carols in science)
Thanks
Carol
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi all,
Carol, I was given the same advice re: Risk Assessments - following the DTERA Protocol obviated the need for a seperate RA and if you are using the Core Science texts then the RAs are taken as read. Senior pracs almost always require RAs because they'rew sourced more widely. I also have the last-minute-no-time-to-fill-in-forms staff, but I'm working on them - could be a lifetime's work!
Holidays soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ELizabeth
CarolF

Post by CarolF »

Hi Robb,
I sent a private message but not certain if you have received it. We are currently reviewing RA procedures and drawing up a new form. I was wondering if you could forward by fax a copy of your format and any other relevent information that may assist and I will pass it on. Our frax no. is 49262976
Many thanks.

Carol F.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Robb, I also sent you a private message, and like Carol, I would like a copy of your RA,thanks
Lisa
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi Robb!
Let's make it a triffecta... can you send me a copy as well.
Our fax number here is 02 6922 5659.
Many thanks,
Lou P.
Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi Loopy, Lis and CarolF,

I am in the process of organising your requests, I shall hit the fax machine very soon. I will let you know when all has been sent.

Robb....
Last edited by Robb on 27 Sep 2006, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
judygee

Risk Assessment.

Post by judygee »

Dear All - I have been reading with interest your comments on RA's!! Do you leave the responsibility of the RA's entirely to the teachers? I also have the last minute, no time to do the paperwork staff!! They all know they have to be done but unless I hand them a blank RA form it may get done or it may not. Is it my responsibility to chase them up? Do I hand each teacher a year's supply of RA's at the start of the year? Do I keep the RA's in a special folder so we don't loose the completed ones, and we can recycle them next year? I try to put the RA form and the MSDS info in the prac equipment tub but this doesn't always happen because some run in at the last minute and it is impossible to organise the paperwork quickly
(Computers seem to work very slowly when one is in a tearing hurry!!!!) So the paper work doesn't always go with the equipment and I guess that IS my responsibility!!! We are also under the impression that an RA has to be done for every prac, including pracs involving hazardous equipment e.g. Power packs, Bunsens, Scalpels, Glassware etc. etc. I guess there is a potential risk with everything we do!! I would be interested in your comments. Judy
Robb

Risk Assessments (Experiments)

Post by Robb »

Hi Loopy, Lis and CarolF,

I have now sent the Risk Assessments off to you around midday they should have been passed onto you.

Thanks,

Robb........
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The Risk Assessments for the practical lessons can be quite daunting whether it is a Chemical Experiment or a General Expt.

Risk assessmnets will have to be completed for all experiments, and although this sounds like a hughe task it can be simplified by breaking the work up.

You do not have to do the Risk Assessments yourself, you can give the teachers the task and add some yourself if need-be.

I have completed all of the Risk Assessments here at our school but it wasn't a big task. Most of the experiments do overlap and if you get crafty you can bring two pracs into one. (Where some pracs use identical equipment but for different purposes) eg. Heart Dissections And Eye Disections Copy these out and all that needs to be changed is some outcomes or safety aspects.

I had completed a R.A. everytime the classes conducted an experiment and in no time I had done most of them, all I had to do is complete the ones I had missed and went from there.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject of R.A.'s.

Cheers,

Robb.............
University of Newcastle.

Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The Risk Assessments for the practical lessons can be quite daunting whether it is a Chemical Experiment or a General Expt.

Risk assessments will have to be completed for all experiments, and although this sounds like a huge task it can be simplified by breaking the work up.

You do not have to do the Risk Assessments yourself, you can give the teachers the task and add some yourself if need-be.

I have completed all of the Risk Assessments here at our school but it wasn't a big task. Most of the experiments do overlap and if you get crafty you can bring two pracs into one. (Where some pracs used identical equipment, but for different purposes). Eg. Heart Dissections And Eye Dissections Copy these out and all that needs to be changed is some outcomes or safety aspects.

I had completed a R.A. every time the classes conducted an experiment and in no time I had done most of them, all I had to do is complete the ones I had missed and went from there.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject of R.A.'s.

Cheers,

Robb.............
University of Newcastle.

Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Risk Assessments

Post by Loopy »

I've been thinking of setting up a system where you have an original risk assessment form filled in for an experiment. Then attatched to it would be a sign off sheet where the teacher requesting the prac. signs their name to verify they have reviewed the risk assessment and has had opportunity to add/subtract/comment about it. Thus saving the forests of the world, the teachers review the experiment and no-one is doubling up on paperwork or leaving it to one person to complete. Do you think it would work? And is it meeting safety standards?
Cheers,
Lou.
Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi All, Loopy...

I have alway defined my Risk Assessments on computer and presented them to the Science Faculty Meeting before I have printed them out.

This way the hole faculty can be proactive and comment on the RA. This way there is a possitive attitute towards the outcome before it is printed.

I have not had a bad comment on them yet!

Cheers,

Robb......
University of Newcastle.

Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

Coming from WA I'm really interested in these experiment risk assessments. We only have monitoring and assessments for the the chemicals classified as hazardous by Work Safe. What exactly is involved in these assessments. Robb maybe you are the one to answer this? All other information very welcome.
Diana
Robb

Risk Assessments

Post by Robb »

Hi Didee,

I will send you a Private message to explain the Risk Assessments for Experiments. I will fax a Risk Assessment Template to you as well so you can look at what I have here. Please send the Contact number for the Fax option so I can pass this on.

If anyone else is interested I will sent the same info through the Private Messages option also.

Cheers,

Robb...
University of Newcastle.

Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Re: risk assessment

Post by Lis »

Hi All,

I have recently attanded an OH&S training day, and most of the day was explaining the risk assessments, and we were told that for every piece of equipment there needed to be a risk assessment, as well as chemicals. Has anyone else done this, Im not sure where to start with it, and how the RA should be set out, if anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it :oops: :unsure:

Thanks
Lisa
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Rob, could I also please trouble you for a copy. Fax 9634 6184 Many thanks.

Just a question with regards to risk assessments? I write a risk assessment for every procedure that I carry out that warrants one and have MSDS available for all chemicals that we carry but I don't write any risk assessments for any experiments that the teachers perform with their classes, each teacher does this as they also do for excursions etc. We have just been re-accredited via the Board of Education (Independent School) and when the fellow visited me in the prep. room he asked me, among many things at what point did I receive the risk assessment for each prac., the inference being when did the teacher give me this and were they being constantly upgraded etc. I keep them on file and let me tell you getting the teachers to do them for new experiments can be like pulling teeth. From some of the replies it sounds like alot of you may be doing these yourselves? All credit to those of you who do this, but should we be doing it?

Regards Trudy
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Perhaps you may mean S.O.P's Standard Operating Procedures. That should be done for most of your equipment. Lets say the Laser, A set of operating points remarks needs to put on a piece of cardboard labeled Standard Operating Procedure for this Laser. Also placed with your laser should be a sign which would be put on the classroom door when the Laser is in use. If I can remember correctly, that sign or a copy of it is in the CSIS book's.

Does this help??
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Oops Rob don't worry about first part of my post, was reading a very old thread

Thanks Trudy
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hi Robb,
If your overworked fax can manage it, I too, would appreciate a copy of the R.A. template.Thank you, and everyone on this site, for your invaluble help.
Cheers,
Lisa

Fax (08)81392138 Att Lisa