cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Lego Robotics and Lego Technic

Post by cactus155 »

Just a quick question:

Does anyone use Lego Robotics kits, Lego Technic or a combination of both in Science? I am investigating the setting up a lab. specifically for the use of both these types of Lego based systems and am interested in positive or negative experiences people have had with them.

Thanks
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Lego Robotics and Lego Technic

Post by RosalieM »

We have some stuff in a cupboard but I haven't seen it used... What would you use it all to demonstrate?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Yes our students make gears, and pulley's and motor cars, but once they are made they need to be stored in a box for each item. They brake apart of easily, pieces go missing so quickly. I really hate it when they ask for the box of leg. We have now only said only use with Senior students, physics etc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

I understand that a mini-factory ulitimately will be set up to demonstrate how robotics is or could be used in a factory environment. This would most likely consist of fixed but motorised machinary such as cranes but also could use moving robots
rell
State/Location: VIC

Post by rell »

We run a robotics subject. The kids use lego robotics and lego technics kits.
The idea is to build a robotic car or dancing robot. We have a few pieces go missing but overall the kids are reasonable with them because the more they lose the less their robot works
Narelle
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

We have both Lego Techniques and Lego Robotics.
They are both valuable. Lego Techniques allows students to build simple to complicated machines. We have had our sets for 15+ years and they are still in excellent nick. We bought 13 complete sets and used one for spares. We would have 12 complete sets now except a teacher lost one. The key is to count all the pieces in at the end of the lesson. Which I have done religeously since the school bought them.
Lego Robotics is different. Our first set of students built the robots. I checked them as wrongs parts were used by the students. The students can then program the robots to perform different manoeuvres. There are programs where a student can use the computer to program the robot! We hope our students will get to the level of playing soccer with their robots. Once made up and checked, we have not disassembled the robots. The main aim is to get the students to program.
They are both interesting at different levels.
Maree