estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

flammable cupboards to store HSC papers

Post by estelle »

Hello,
I just had a discussion with the SAO and she said the reason there is a perfectly good flammable cupboard in the school photocopy room is because it is needed to store the HSC papers in so they are secure and if there is a fire they won't burn.
I was wanting to see if I could get the flammable cupboard moved to the art department, because after doing an OH&S inspection and seeing how much flammable liquids the art department is storing in classroom cupboards I thought it would be a safer alternative.
Does anyone know if the HSC papers would survive a fire in that cupboard? Or does anyone know of an alternative option for the HSC papers that would be something I could bargain with?
Thanks
Estelle
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: flammable cupboards to store HSC papers

Post by Slartibartfast »

Most filing cabinets are flame resistant - to a point. Like a flammables cuboard they will eventually go up if the fire is intense enough.

They key word is resistant not proof - very few if any have that claim.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Get a shipping container bury it in the ground, fill around it with concrete, but somehow incorporate a way to get in and out of it and move the flammable cupboard from the photocopy room to the art room. I am sure the OHS/Workplace inspectors would say a similar thing about moving the cabinent if they were to do an inspection of your workplace.

Also is it a flammable solids or a flammable liquids cupboard? because if it is a liquid one then the HSC papers are not classified as liquids and the stuff in the art area is. Keep pushing to get it changed.

Or use a filing cabinet as suggested previously, also it would be much cheaper and you most likely have some laying around the school somewhere that are not being used. I know we have some full of stuff from teachers who have left.

Andrew
kimm

Post by kimm »

I was talking to a Fireman once and he was saying never keep your valuables in a metal cabinet - papers or jewellary. If a fire does happen along - metal may not burn but the heat created inside will completely destroy its contents - especially paper. He said to use a really thick (strangely enough) wood box as usually the fire will burn through the area and just partially char/ burn the thick timber.
So there you go - get him a heavy wooden filing cabinet.
bindi

Post by bindi »

I thought HSC paper where kept in a secret site and delivered on the day? :?
If they are past papers you can get any time! :thumbup:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi Estelle,
Do you not have a fire proof SAFE? That might be more secure than a flammables cupboard. What sort of lock is on the cupboard? It is not too hard to get a "Master Key" that will fit most "filing cabinet" type locks. (not very secure by my estimate)
regards
Ian
smiley

Post by smiley »

I wonder if Universal Studios thought they had flame proof storage systems? :oops:

Cheers, K 8-)
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Now that you mention it Ian,

The key I have to the flammable cupboard, also opens the fire extingusher boxes and also a switchboard in one of the science labs.... Why is it so?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Safest place we we're always told in the Rural Fire Service (but not always practical) is to bury the said item/valuble below ground in organic earth. Dig a hole and chuck them in!

If you put your mind to it there aren't many places in our place of work that are fire proof. Make it an S.E.P. (Someone Elses Problem) is my recomendation and store them away from your area in a generic storeroom or safe that all facultys use.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory