Sulfuric acid Accident

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Sulfuric acid Accident

Post by bindi »

Has anyone heard more about the teacher who dropped the bottle of sulphuric acid in Epping?
cheltie

Re: Sulfuric acid Accident

Post by cheltie »

Dear Chemtalkers,
It was actually the lab attendant who was injured in the acid accident at Epping Boys High. I don't have all the details but apparently she slipped while carrying acid and has burnt her leg and arm quite badly.
Luckily there was a teacher there to help her as it was their sport afternoon and the school was pretty empty.
Our best wishes go out to her.
Helen
bindi

Post by bindi »

It was horrible to hear, it was only briefly mentioned on the radio but my thoughts went straight to her.
Stay safe everyone!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Oh dear.
Anyone know if it was conc H2SO4?
I sincerely hope not. :-(
lada

Post by lada »

I hope not. I have seen an accident with conc H2SO4. 8O
The girl was wearing stockings, and when the first aider tried to wash her legs, stockings and skin come off in long sheets. It was terrible, and I am sure this lady has had scars all her life.
Lada
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

My thoughts go out to the Lab assistant - sulfuric is a nasty one, even diluted.
I worked at an industry where it was a by-product and I had to test it every day. I was waiting for the sampler to arrive - he never did.... he had spilt some on himself and, in trying to find somewhere to wash it off, had an accident and died... I have been burnt by the stuff coming straight from the stacks - and you can go crazy with the pain...
Take care everyone - don't get complacent - this IS a dangerous job.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

A couple of years ago as I was decanting Conc sulfuric acid from a large bottle to a smaller bottle it splashed back and burned under my arm. It was only a small amount of acid but it hurt an incredible amount.
Luckily I was working over the sink so I just stuck my arm under running water for about 30 mins.
Trying to get the teacher's attention, who was working in the adjacent room, was very amusing, what with my arm under water, in a fume cupboard and her back to me.
I went straight to the doctors with a wet pack strapped to it who then bathed it in bicard mixture for another 30 mins, and gave me a cortisone based cream (i think) to apply to it 24hours later.
It was terribly painful and for such a small amount of liquid it caused a huge burn.
It took weeks to heal, but luckily I have ended up with no scarring.

I had the full safety gear on, was being very careful and still got burnt.

I now only have 500ml bottles of all concentrated acid, and still have moments of fear when I have to make up dilutions
lada

Post by lada »

I agree with Dee. The large bottles are cheaper to buy but I only get 500ml bottles. Much easier to handle.
lada
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Money doesnt come into it when safety is concerned!
I only buy 500mLs of all acids except HCl, which I buy from local Hardware outlet because it is so cheap there....
For classes who need conc. Sulfuric (esters etc) I use a 50mL dropper bottle which sits in a plastic beaker filled with sand and I put it into a small tray. Hope this saves a problem.. does anyone have better ideas? always willing to improve!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Can any one tell us how the lady is, and what injuries she received. Is she back at work? We all carry Conc Acid from cupboard to work spare etc, it really could happen to any one of us. Do hope all is well with her.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,
I was at an OH&S course on Monday and spoke to the OH&S person from Epping. He said that Rosalie was carrying a 2 litre bottle of concentrated sulfuric acid and dropped the bottle and slipped into the acid. She has burns to her arm and legs and he wasn't sure if she would need a skin graft.

Rosalie used to work at Cheltenham and is a trained Lab. Tech. so as you say it could happen to any of us.
I will try to pass on the message that all the Labbies are thinking of her.
Helen
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

yes thank You Helen, we are all certainly thinking of her. :-(
And as you say, we all know it can happen to any of us.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Dear Chemtalkers,
I have just had a phone call from Rosalie the lady who had the accident at Epping.
She is slowly getting better and was very touched to hear that so many of her fellow labbies were thinking of her.
Her main concern though was that the same thing not happen to anyone else. Her advice is get rid of all 2 litre containers of acid and only use small bottles. I greatly admire her bravery as her injuries are very painful. She is yet to find out if she will need skin grafts.
Please stay safe everyone.
Helen
kerryw
State/Location: VIC

Post by kerryw »

This is scary. We do tend to get complacent in our jobs. I have just started ordering acids in 500ml containers this year. Although I have one of those winchester carriers I find the larger bottles too cumbersome. I am glad to hear that Rosalie is on the mend. Take care everyone.

kerry
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Just using 18 M H2 SO4 today. Pouring from a 500 ml stck bottle into a beaker, and then onto a beaker of sugar.
The yr 8's were so excited, and I wondered why I always do the pouring for the demo, and not the teachers!
Anyone ever thought of that? :oops:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Do you really need to use 18M H2SO4 for this reaction?
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

cactus, I am not sure, but the idea is to dehydrate the sugar.
Its what I have always used, my thoughts are that if theres any more water in the acid, it wont dehydrate as well.
I am open to suggestions though

Works really well as you can imagine! :w00t:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have always used conc acid for this demonstration. Half a 250ml beaker of sugar and pour the acid to cover the surface. I offer to do this demonstration because I have had teachers through who have not handled this strength of chemical. For example competent teachers with backgrounds in maths, home economics, physical education, etc. The demonstration is done outside. Students are moved out of the direction that the wind may be blowing to avoid smoke and fumes. They all love the final results. I have a pair of obstetrics forceps which I use to handle the remains, placing them on a metal tray and then into the fume cupboard. When the remains are cold they are wrapped in newspaper and disposed of in the bin.
Lyn.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

kerryw wrote:This is scary. We do tend to get complacent in our jobs. I have just started ordering acids in 500ml containers this year. Although I have one of those winchester carriers I find the larger bottles too cumbersome. I am glad to hear that Rosalie is on the mend. Take care everyone.

kerry
I have been "off line" for a few days and had not heard about Rosalie's accident until now. I mentioned it to my HT and got the appropriate shocked response, but when I suggested that perhaps we should think about getting the "winchester carriers" for our 2.5L stock bottles, the answer was "but how often do we use them?". Wadaya reckon!!
I guess, on our wage, we are considered as "disposable equipment" !!!!!

I might have to take it up with the OH &S committee.

Is there to be a "Work cover report" on Rosalie's accident?

regards
Ian
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Ian.
Can you order the conc sulfuric in 500 ml bottles. Save the problem with winchesters, easier to handle, less risk.
The 10M H Cl, I am ok with buying in winchesters, but definately not the H2 SO4