removing silver type deposits from Cu plate ?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

removing silver type deposits from Cu plate ?

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have a few plates of copper, that have been used in the displacement of metals expts.They are now encrusted with silver type deposits,( from having been in a Silver nitrate solution) .
Since they are in the shape of Xmas trees, and quite large, so dont want to throw them out.
I wondered if theres a way that I can pop them in a solution , using them as an electrode, placing another metal, say zinc as another electrode, and remove the silver "plating".
Wanted to ge tyour input, as I may ge tit wrong, and end up mauking it worse..ie plating it instead.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Re: removing silver type deposits from Cu plate ?

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Ok. I had no replies on this one. However, in case anyone else is in the same situation, I found(after many attempts),that soaking in CLR works a treat
Robb

Re: removing silver type deposits from Cu plate ?

Post by Robb »

Hi Rainbow-Sky,

Sorry I have missed this topic, an easy way is to make uo a solution of the same metal that is coated on the electrode and then simply reverse the current on the power supply so that Positive is now negative and vice-versa, thiss will allow the silver to drop back into solution.

Simple and effective way when the students do the experiment bcuse the can do this for you before they pack up..

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **