matchboxes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: matchboxes

Post by RosalieM »

I send boxes out with 5 matches in each. I have put white stickers on each side of the box. One side says "Do not throw out empty box" and the other side says "Return box to front bench". I only did this recently. Before, I had written the same thing on the boxes without the stickers. It worked well until one day NO boxes (out of 10!!) came back! The teachers couldn't explain it. I checked the bins - nothing... I don't even know which class it was because the teachers often just come in and get the matches when they need them and don't tell me in advance.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Ah!!!! yes!!!! the matchbox!!! Now you see it, now you don't. Bought lovely new Redheads to start the year. First class out ten matchboxes - four matches in each (I've become a miserable stingy sod) - only six boxes came back. New teacher, empty matchboxes, yes put them in the bin. Teachers wondering what the funny little tufts of hair were doing all over the prep room floor. Am plotting new strategies, or was that evil plans for getting even!!!!!!!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Estelle. I sure can identify!
Matchbox management is a big thing over here! :lol:

We have a class set of boxes. Each is marked with the LAB number, and then each numbered, corresponding to their lab station.
They are issued at beg of lesson, and have to return them to tch at end of prac.
We refill each box with 3 matches at the end of each bunsen lesson.
We use home brand to cut costs.
We still lose the occassional box, but not nearly so much since we numbered them
It IS a pain!
:-({|=
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Matches, they are a pain! The best teacher I have for this smokes and uses his own lighter! Problem solved (well, not for him) but it helps keeps my labs and sinks spotless.

I keep the cheapest most hideous (made from balsa I reckon) unreliable homebrand matches you've ever seen in you life. That way if the students do want to nick them, the chance of them causing mischief with them are practically nil! The only thing they do ignite is the teachers tempers. That they do very well indeed.

Here's a picture to give you another idea for teacher baiting and a laugh. The top one is a normal household match. The lower one is half a match with red ink drawn on one end. I'm always harping on about the lack of budget so the sight of half size matches barely raises an eyelid with my lot, until they try and light them of course! And try and light them they do! For ages! YEARS studying at uni and some bugger does this to them! Ha! Great fun! \:D/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
dime

Post by dime »

We have always used homebrand matches. They used to be 39c for 10 boxes and are now probably about 49c. So at about 5c per box, why would you refill or sweat over them. It is the teachers problem to get the kids to do the right thing. A lot more money gets wasted with broken glassware and thermometers etc.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have been having a shocker today - but the photo fo the half-match raised my spirits....thank you ..now to make some for my 'favourite' teacher!!!
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi
I worked at a school where there were lots of boys who loved matches and did not enjoy school work!. The teacher would get them to write up their prac method at their desk, put their hand up to be checked, be allowed to set up all equipment they would need at the lab bench, put their hand up, get checked, and then, finally, they were allowed a match and a matchbox to light their bunsen. The teacher then took back the matchbox and dead match and they were allowed to start their prac. There was only one matchbox in the room and the teacher had control of it at all times. If the teacher did not take back the dead match it was not just left in the sink. It was relit at the bunsen and waved around in others faces and tested to see what it would light! This was of course time consuming for the teacher but it was that or no prac. It worked well but the teacher had to be very organised.

Now I work at an all girls school and I send out full boxes of matches and get all of them back again without
any problems.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Hey Tina,

Same here. In the new post-modern sexism, I can stand up and say girls ARE different from boys. They're definitely not angels up here, but Nobody steals match boxes. We have the opposite problem, which is that in this age of no smoking (thankfully), and piezo lighters on gas stoves and BBQs, most of our kids haven't lit a match when they commence high school.

Cheers, K 8-)
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Slartibartfast wrote: YEARS studying at uni and some bugger does this to them! \:D/
I Love it Richard! Well done!

Ian :cheesy:
Tina

Post by Tina »

Oops
I have to take back what I said yesterday.
I put matches out for an experiment for the girls as usual. On one bench, nearly 2 whole boxes of matches had been lit and left on the bench without being cleaned up! Just for the sheer joy of seeing matches burn...
But that wont happen again...
Tina