Dry Yeast

and any other non-chem subjects.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Dry Yeast

Post by rae »

Does anyone know what the optimum incubating temperature is needed for Dried Bakers yeast?

Lorrae
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Dry Yeast

Post by smiley »

Body temperature, or just a little above. You can actually keep it rolling along at high 20's, low 30's, especially if you want to keep the culture for a couple of days. Higher temperatures are for instant action like bread-making, where you want it to act fast and then stop. Lower temperatures are for things like watching reproduction through budding, or alcohol production.

Cheers, K 8-)
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I actually thought it was 60degres celcius. In my cookbook it say for fresh yeast its 37 degrees (body temperature), but when using dried yeast it should be heated to 60degrees for it to work properly, to get doughs to rise properly. However, that may just be the case for baking...
miriam
State/Location: TAS

Post by miriam »

60 degrees sounds weird to me! As others have said approx body temperature or a bit above. Yeast is not a thermophile... it doesn't live at the mouth of underwater volcanic vents or in volcanic hot springs!
Miriam
lada

Post by lada »

Optimum temp is under 450C. We did some testing and yeast will die at warmer tepm. 60oC much too high