Welcome back to term 2

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Welcome back to term 2

Post by Labbie »

Hope you are all keeping well, enjoy PFD day.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Welcome back to term 2

Post by bigmack »

LOL , I’ve been back two weeks now Labbie . (QLD Anglican School)
First day on the new job and it was Cross country .
Was rostered on but Head Teacher said “ No way , you’ll be off on the back foot “ , she made a call and I got to settle in ….. good call on her part …… really needed that .

Anyway , really enjoying being back at work after a year off . Getting used to new school , trying to work out the differences between , Private / State and NSW /QLD .
Oh , and Risk assess #-o
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Last term was one of the longest eleven weeks of my life! It seemed to drag on for ever and I was so pleased to have two weeks off. This time last year, I was in the final two weeks before heading off on 14 weeks leave, which ended up being five months but that's another story. Nothing as exciting this year.
Here's hoping that this term runs smoothly but I have a feeling that it may be a rocky one for me.
Bigmack - you will get used to Riskassess. A great tool as long as all teachers use it. Happy to share some tips. The labelling feature is worth the subscription on its own.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Gosh, has it really been a year since you left for your big holiday?? I agree, it was a very long 11 weeks!

We are straight back into full swing today (no pupil free day for us) but I have no pracs booked in as yet so I'm planning a crazy-big clean up today! Last term saw me helping out in admin more than usual so things got a little out of control in the prep room (I was doing the bare minimum to keep things going, mostly getting pracs ready but not putting old pracs away) so it's time to catch up. Emails are caught up and music is on... I don't want to walk into this "disaster zone" two days in a row!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yep, we left home on the 7th May last year. Now but a distant memory.
Sadly, it is also nearly a year since my dad passed away.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 07:50 Bigmack - you will get used to Riskassess. A great tool as long as all teachers use it. Happy to share some tips. The labelling feature is worth the subscription on its own.
Familia with the Labeling , used that a lot at last school ,
Bluffing my way through the ordering section , but may ask you some questions if I get stuck ,thanks Merilyn

And yes , most are using it , just one teacher out of faculty that does one period a week sends me Email requests . that I can deal with so far .
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Enjoy Bigmack, they are very lucky to have you. A Man that is oh so good at fixing things.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

bigmack wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 12:39
Merilyn1 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 07:50 Bigmack - you will get used to Riskassess. A great tool as long as all teachers use it. Happy to share some tips. The labelling feature is worth the subscription on its own.
Familia with the Labeling , used that a lot at last school ,
Bluffing my way through the ordering section , but may ask you some questions if I get stuck ,thanks Merilyn

And yes , most are using it , just one teacher out of faculty that does one period a week sends me Email requests . that I can deal with so far .
I use Riskassess for my own risk assessments. As an example, if I have to make up some 0.1M HCl, I do a risk assessment for that. Then if anyone orders it for a prac, my risk for putting that prac together is low because all I am considering is taking it off the shelf and into the prac tub. If you didn't do a separate RA for the dilution, you would technically have to consider all of the risks of making the solution in each prac order. God, I hope that makes sense!
If you ever get a chance to go to a conference and Riskassess people are presenting, definitely head along to hear what they have to say.
I'll PM my email address if you have any questions.