nickel sulfate

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

nickel sulfate

Post by RosalieL »

Do you still use nickel sulfate? I'm just printing out some new labels and according to risk assess the 0.1M is red! Is this correct? My very outdated original version of CSIS says 7-12. I am happy to go with the red dot but was just surprised and now I don't know if it is worth even having it in the chem store!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: nickel sulfate

Post by Labbie »

The online CSIS says green dot
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I'd go with RiskAssess.....CSIS is jut too outdated and I'm glad I don't have to use it!
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We are actually in the process of removing it from the school, have found other reagents and/or pracs that demonstrate the same thing. Nickel ... nasty

Hazardous to the Aquatic Environment - Acute Hazard: Category 1 Hazardous to the Aquatic Environment - Long-Term Hazard: Category 1 Carcinogenicity - Inhalation: Category 1 Germ Cell Mutagenicity: Category 2 Acute Toxicity - Inhalation: Category 4 Acute Toxicity - Oral: Category 4 Specific target organ toxicity - Repeated Exposure Category 1 Sensitization - Respiratory: Category 1 Skin Corrosion/Irritation: Category 2 Sensitization - Skin: Category 1 Toxic to Reproduction: Category 1 GHS classification of the substance/mixture DANGER
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Thanks Anna Z - This is the list from RiskAssess:

"May cause cancer
Suspected of causing genetic defects
May damage the unborn child
May be harmful if inhaled
May be harmful if swallowed
Causes damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure
Causes mild skin irritation
May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled
May cause an allergic skin reaction
Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects"

so I'm inclined to believe the colour code is correct but wanted to check in case it has been mis-labelled in their system. In hindsight I probably could have just looked it up on the SDS or google! But the brain isn't working at full capacity this time of year... :crazy:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

ELIZABETH wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 12:19 I'd go with RiskAssess.....CSIS is jut too outdated and I'm glad I don't have to use it!
Agree completely!
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I think the 0.1M is for precipitates. We use the foil for magnet pracs. Maybe the solid in crystal gardens. All waste is collected. PPE used. Dont touch it, drink it, or sniff it etc. Most of our chemicals will have associated dangers. You should always err on the side of caution and use PPE.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

RiskAssess is as followings;

Nickel Sulfate Solid (Tch)
<0.006M (7-12)
0.006M - 0.065M (11-12)
0.065M - 0.16M (Tch)

I only use RiskAssess now
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

We go by RiskAssess as well. CSIS hasn't been updated for decades, the Dept must be waiting for a legal case before they start?? It's bound to happen, one day, sadly.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Prima wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 13:27 We go by RiskAssess as well. CSIS hasn't been updated for decades, the Dept must be waiting for a legal case before they start?? It's bound to happen, one day, sadly.
Had to laugh at this, but it isn't really a laughing matter! I went to a general WHS course run by AIS and, can you believe, they said we should be referring to "industry standards". In the case of chemical handling, the industry standard would be that produced by the public sector. Yep, good ol' CSIS was the document. I was the only labbie there - the room was made up of principals, business managers and the like. At the break, I had a quiet chat with the presenters (how old CSIS was, how we couldn't access any updates). I am concerned they are still presenting the same advice.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 06:39
Prima wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 13:27 We go by RiskAssess as well. CSIS hasn't been updated for decades, the Dept must be waiting for a legal case before they start?? It's bound to happen, one day, sadly.
Had to laugh at this, but it isn't really a laughing matter! I went to a general WHS course run by AIS and, can you believe, they said we should be referring to "industry standards". In the case of chemical handling, the industry standard would be that produced by the public sector. Yep, good ol' CSIS was the document. I was the only labbie there - the room was made up of principals, business managers and the like. At the break, I had a quiet chat with the presenters (how old CSIS was, how we couldn't access any updates). I am concerned they are still presenting the same advice.
That is quite scary!!!! We have so much more knowledge gained over the last 30ish years...
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

RosalieL wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 08:21
Merilyn1 wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 06:39
That is quite scary!!!! We have so much more knowledge gained over the last 30ish years...
That make sense now!! My principal asked me how I would feel if I was told I had to use something else, (using RiskAssess at the moment) my reply was if they could find something else out there that was better and more user friendly I'd be happy to look at it! Knowing dame well there isn't anything.

Time to retire I think!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: