How to post a picture on Chemtalk

If you have technical problems or general questions on how to use the forum, please post here.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

How to post a picture on Chemtalk

Post by bigmack »

I noticed some are attaching word docs in an attempt to attach a picture , so I thought I'd do a quick tutorial .

First off , there is a size limit to pictures . They must be no larger than 800 pixels on the longest side.
You need to resize pics in windows "Paint" or other picture software .
In this case , I load the pic into "paint" ,click on "resize" ,then "Pixels". I then have to change the largest size to 800.
Then I click OK and re-save pic .

Resizing.png
Next, click the "Attachments" tab below.
Attachment Tab.png
Click on Add files
Add Files.png
Navigate to where you have saved your resized pic and double click the file .
Navigate to Pic and double click.png
The File will appear in the attachments list .
If you have multiple pics , its often best to give them a comment .The comment will also show in the submitted post in blue under the pic .
You don't have to add a comment if you don't want to .
Add a comment.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bigmack on 21 Oct 2022, 13:12, edited 3 times in total.
bigmack

Re: How to post a picture on Chemtalk

Post by bigmack »

Click "Place inline" will insert the pic into you post at the position of your cursor .
This is handy if you need to edit your post
Place in line.png
Your post will look something like this .
Post with attachments.png
Note that you can't see the Attachment Tab unless you click on the "full editor and preview" button first .
Full editor.png
Also note that you can only attach 5 pictures per post .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Well done Bigmack thank you
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Pleasure Labbie. I'm on a few pHp forums and it's something that often gets asked .
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Prima »

Great instructions! Thank you!
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

OK, just discovered that the Attachment size has a limit of 500Mb .

So you can scale pics bigger than 800 pixels if the pic doesn't have too much detail in it . Maybe up to 1200 pixels on the long side .
But for the most part 800 pixels will cover most Pictures.
This forum must have a file size limit whereas others have a resolution limit . Sorry about the confusion .
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

If you are posting Pics from an Iphone , you will still need to resize pics first .( I'm sure there would be an android version too)
I have a free app called "resize It " .It is also handy for rotating pics that appear sideways when you post them .
The trick for sideways pic is to click on the pic on the forum to show it full size . Then copy pic to your Iphone .
Open the Pic in "resize it"
Rotate it and save to your phone .
Edit your post and Delete the sideways pic and add the rotated version .

Yes I know its a lot of stuffing around ,but sideways pics seems to be coming more of an issue especially with Iphones .
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

bigmack wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 10:58 If you are posting Pics from an Iphone , you will still need to resize pics first .( I'm sure there would be an android version too)
I have a free app called "resize It " .It is also handy for rotating pics that appear sideways when you post them .
The trick for sideways pic is to click on the pic on the forum to show it full size . Then copy pic to your Iphone .

Yes I know its a lot of stuffing around ,but sideways pics seems to be coming more of an issue especially with Iphones .
I am using my work computer, and my files are too big. I will ask my IT person. I have done it before but cant remember what i did.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

mtg wrote: 11 Oct 2023, 08:43
bigmack wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 10:58 If you are posting Pics from an Iphone , you will still need to resize pics first .( I'm sure there would be an android version too)

I am using my work computer, and my files are too big. I will ask my IT person. I have done it before but cant remember what i did.
See the first pic in my tutorial . Open the pic in Microsoft Paint and resize it in that .