Victorian Gov Chemical Register

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Sarah B
State/Location: VIC

Victorian Gov Chemical Register

Post by Sarah B »

Has anyone in Victoria completed a Chemical Register using the Vic Gov template? Two of us are trying to work on it here, transferring from a different format, and it seems to be unnecessarily complicated.

We are finding that sections that should be auto-filling are failing to work, and we're not sure where to find information for the Consequences/Likelihood columns.

Any advice, or a copy/screenshot of a completed register (for reference) would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance :?
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Re: Victorian Gov Chemical Register

Post by Anna Z »

Make sure you have downloaded and working in Excel. If you are trying it in a google doc it won't work and you'll be in all sorts of pain. I also just downloaded the blank template to check it out... the first line does not work for some reason (as in picking the Risk ranking automatically) after you choose from the drop down of the consequences and likelihood fields.. Just copy and past the formulas up to the first line to make it work.... or don't use line 1.

Also don't insert lines...you'll loose all the formatting in the cells. I personally would not have done the spread sheet this way, but there are many ways to skin a cat.

read through the instructions carefully, very helpful.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

For the Consequences/Likelihood, there is information on one of the tabs, it also says The level of risk can be assessed as per the directions below and in reference to Section 3.5.2 of the OHS Risk Management Procedure. Also, you will not find anywhere a column telling you what Consequences/Likelihood you need to put in for an individual chemical. This is something that you need to determine based on how you use it (students/teachers/lab staff), concentration, how it's stored, exposure time, frequency, physical controls you have to mitigate risk ect.
Capture.JPG
Personally, I use a 'Chemical Risk Assessment' for assessing any chemicals that I order, after I have done that the risk rating from it I feed into the register. It's not a mandated Department thing... we have implemented it here to make sure we are on top of things.

More info can be found on the back of the Plant and Equipment Risk Management Form (Template). There is the risk matrix that can help you define risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarah B

Post by Sarah B »

Thanks Anna Z. Your advice and feedback is much appreciated.

It's comforting to hear that it is a tricky thing to navigate - not just us!
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

No problem, if you want to do a video call send me a message and we'll set it up. You can share your screen and show me the issues if you haven't managed to get it sorted.